Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Funniest/Stupidest thing the PO did

I figure most people here havent owned their xj since it was new so most of us probably at least have a few interesting stories of weird or stupidest things the previous owners of our xjs did to it and i think it would be fun to hear it :P

heres mine, a few weeks ago my jeep would not unlock in the parking lot of a kregan and no matter what we did we could not get the car to disarm its security system and i was forced to tow it to a electical shop, the po had installed a after market alarm over the still working stock alarm causing it to constantly act up (alarm just going off as soon as u turn it off, arming itself in a few min after u get out ect) so after about 100 bucks i now no longer have tons of alarm issues :P
Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

I hate dealing with alarm issues.

I have a ton of horror stories on my $500 XJ.

My previous owner installed a GAWD AWFUL 3.5" lift that I'm still trying to sort out. I still don't know exactly what he did, because there aren't any spacers in it. It looks like he just slapped a bunch of junkyard stuff without actually looking at fitment.

Anyway, the shocks were too short, so they had no upward travel at all, and would top out on minor bumps. The shackles are too short, so they hit the body on every bump. The shocks were completely messed up, to where they had almost no resistance within about a 4" range of motion, but were completely solid outside that range.

He didn't extend the rear brakelines. They're stretched to the max, and I suspect they'll break any day now.

On top of that, he sold it to me with 3 ugly GC wheels, two of them looking like they'd been run on pavement without tires. The GC wheels had 235 tires. The 4th wheel was a steel Cherokee wheel with a 235 tire. None of them would even come remotely close to balancing, and one of them looked downright dangerous. They were so bad I took them to the recycling center and got $35 for the scrap aluminum.

He had the brake and reverse lightbulbs backwards, so the reverse lights would go on when the brakes were applied, and the brakelights would go on in reverse.

He had 5% tint all around, including 10" down the windshield, so I couldn't see a thing out of it. No wonder it was wrecked in front when I got it.

I brought it to the tire shop across from his house after fixing the accident damage and he saw me there and came over to talk. He was completely stunned that I was driving it and hadn't completely given up on it yet.

I do love this thing though. My wife actually got stopped in the McDonald's drive through by a lady in a stock red XJ who wanted to take pictures because she thought mine was so cool.

Last edited by Vindicator9000; 08-02-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

ha when i got my 99xj i was driving it home and not 1/4 mile down the road i hear a huge bang and scraping noise and then i see my front drive line bouncing down the road behind me. this lady was crazy she wired it up with a close hanger, the back door had sheet metal screws holding it shut from a previous wreck she had. this thing was a mess! but after i got all the bugs worked out it was the best jeep i've owned!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

mine had the window sticker in the glove box when i bought it. that is so rare to find on 80s vehicles that i consider that crazy.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Can't really say the PO did anything funny to mine. He actually fixed up some stuff before selling it. Although the wiring to the radio is nothing but a huge mess. Radio does not work anyway. One day Ill get around to fixing that.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Nothing that i really know of. PO was literally a rocket scientist.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Year: 1995

Im not sure if it was stupid on his part or not...but I bought mine for $1,000 from a guy who got it after his grandfather had passed on, he knew I was into mudding and what not, so he calls me up and tells me that hes got this old jeep for sale. I go take a look and tell him. Ill give a $1,000 cash. After the deal is done Im driving home and look under the hood and in the glovebox just checkin things out. I found a reciept for $1900. It was pretty badly faded but had a number for "Marks Autos" on it that I could make out, I gave them a call and ask them about the jeep.....apprently my jeep has a brand new crate motor in it!!!! (I feel as if I should go back and tell the guy I owe him more, but nahhh haha)

Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered Users

Year: 89

Well the PO of my XJ was my brother inlaw.. No complaints

Now on the 5.9... It was bought at a used car lot, The sunroof is the only thing that bugged me.. It's now duct-taped closed
Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: Golen 4.0 straight six

The PO spent $3,000 on a golen block and then put a horrible junk yard lift on it.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Engine: 4.0 i6

Well i bought my jeep from the previous owner with lift and other mods already done to it for a very reasonable price. Had to replace front pump in the tranny due to the leak. When i got the jeep home i started checking thing out making sure everything works turn signals, radio, wipers ect.. Then i noticed i went to honk the horn and i didnt do nothing! so i asked the guy i bought if it worked and he said the key had to be on in order for it to work. So i turned it on and i hear a loud EEEWWWGGGAAA! Turns out i have an ouga horn
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 PM

Year: 1992

umm cant really say my previous owner did anything crazy besides letting it just sit for years, and not really doing any maintenance to it. 230,xxx miles without doing maintenance and now, i get an awesome rig. after i did an over haul of the thing.

makes me smile!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

On my 91, The PO decided to silicone in the windshield just for good measure. And no, it didn't leak at all. He just thought: eh why not? Dumb move. You should have seen the windshield tech installing a new windshield. Poor guy. There was also silicone on the Jeep in other spots (pointlessly). The guy really liked silicone I guess lol. And this same PO also loosened the steering box from the frame. Don't know why he did, nothing was wrong.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

1. Engine was half missing< Obviously I could see that,
  2. He said engine blew on the freeway. Wrong.
  3. Transfer case had a busted lowrange shifter. So guess where the engine blew, it wasn;t on the freeway.
  4. 3" lift, but he used stock length shocks.
All that for $500, if I didn't have a 4.0 with 128k miles sitting at the house needing a home, I wouldn't have bought it.

then once I finished the swap, my mom used the wifes jeep and got it hot a blew the engine to heck. So my XJ became our DD for now.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Dont show off in the winter if you cant drive. Do I need to say anymore? Not complaining to much though. Only paid $200 bucks for it.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 91/96

Originally Posted by 90xjLFTD
Well i bought my jeep from the previous owner with lift and other mods already done to it for a very reasonable price. Had to replace front pump in the tranny due to the leak. When i got the jeep home i started checking thing out making sure everything works turn signals, radio, wipers ect.. Then i noticed i went to honk the horn and i didnt do nothing! so i asked the guy i bought if it worked and he said the key had to be on in order for it to work. So i turned it on and i hear a loud EEEWWWGGGAAA! Turns out i have an ouga horn
<<<prob the face you made lmao

Quick Reply: Funniest/Stupidest thing the PO did