Sponsored by: DashLynx

FSJ Fender Flare

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default FSJ Fender Flare

Hello all,

I found a nice 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief and had a question regarding fender flares. The Cherokee Chief obviously had the flares repalced at one point as they not only do not match the color of the SUV but also looks like they have primer on it.

When I asked the seller why the two rear flares were replaced he stated that it was due to rocks hitting the flares and causing damage. I was curious if this was really possible and, if so, what would cause the little rocks to be able to hit the rear flares like this?

Just to be sure, can new fender flares be painted to match the SUV?

Thanks!

Last edited by Santeh; 07-21-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Only reasons to replace a flare on a wide track is rust or damaged like in a wreck or hit something.And honestly i would take a fridge magnet and stick it all over the primer to see if they are hiden any shotty body work aka lets fill in the rust with bondo then primer it and sell it real fast.Can you have them painted to match yes but i would repaint the whole jeep.Reason i say that is it would match for a while then the two different pants will fade differently and end up looking off.If you ever seen a car on the road and part of it looks maybe a shade or two off in color?If you do thats what happened its been touched up,Or they painted part of the car and blended it in.And whatever you do with the jeep id have them strip the primered spots to bare metal seal it and start over in the painting steps,Reasons i say this primer is like a sponge it will suck up moisture and i wont paint over primer thats over 3 days old for that reason.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Check out bjsoffroad.com