Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Front End Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front End Grinding Noise

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. I recently had the struts and brakes replaced. After about 2 weeks or so, I started to hear a grinding noise at the front end of the Jeep. I thought it was the brakes, but I had a mechanic look at them and he said they were fine. At first, the grinding noise was like a chirp when I drove from around 5-40 MPH. It slowly went from a chirp to a loud grind. I can hear the grind from when I start moving to about 60 MPH. It almost sounds like it grinds at the same point in the revolution of the wheel. The sound is especially bad when I do a right turn. By the way, as the grinding noise happens, there is also a squeal that I assume is associated with the grinding. If you guys could provide me with different possibilities of what this might be, that would be awesome. Thanks
Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like the front driver side hub is worn out. Right turn usually puts more pressure on the left hub, and you will hear chirps, grinding, and squealing. The new strut could have helped bring the problem up to the surface, but not necessarily. I don't know Grand Cherokees through the years all that well, but I'm guess the 06 has CV joints up front, which if one was marginal, might be making noise now if the new struts slightly changed the angles they were used to being at.

This is the Jeep Cherokee forum, though problems like this are somewhat universal, you may find more useful information in the Jeep Grand Cherokee forum:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5

Last edited by jordan96xj; 09-13-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I took it to get an oil change on Friday, and I told them to check out the noise while they were at it. I was told it was 1 of 3 things: The drive shaft is going bad (they would only know if that is the problem if they "took it off and drove around without it... if the noise is gone, then that was the issue), the front differential (they check the fluid and there were no shavings of metal in there) or the transfer case (I do not know what that is). Does this sound like it's right or were they trying to make some money?