Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default front camera for wheeling?

hey guys, I was thinking about installing a back up camera to help me parallel park on my street (live in the ghetto of orange county, parking is a commodity). Then I got a genius idea. Put a camera up front too? I could mount it on my front bumper (pointed down) and it would be protected by my brush guard. Has anyone done this? I've always wanted to see the ground where my wheels are about to hit when I'm wheeling (like having a glass bottom jeep). Maybe even one on the passenger side too so I can see rocks over there from the drivers seat. I think it would help a lot, just want some input on why this might be a bad idea and would like to hear how well this works if anyone has tried it.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

nice idea hope u find a way to make it all work
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999.
Engine: 4.0, I6

never even thought about it but sounds like a genius idea. good luck and keep us updated!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like a cool idea, but I'd be more interested in filming video with them, rather than using them to spot my tires over obstacles, but that is just me. I've found that since I've been driving a Cherokee of some kind for over ten years, that I pretty much know where my tires are while wheeling. I don't know how the heck I'd do in a different size/shape vehicle...prolly BAD!! LOL!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

I want one of those head units that has GPS built in and I always thought: whats the point of having a backup camera and DVD player in the head unit? Well I know where I'll put the 'backup camera' now.

Also a while back I was trying to make a LCD monitor and an old tv into a single computer monitor and I found a device that takes two video signals and will put them side by side or one on top of the other via co-ax in & out. (I think it was meant for tv's). Other wise I can't think of a good way to run multiple cameras without having to mount multiple screens.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Schmoozer

Also a while back I was trying to make a LCD monitor and an old tv into a single computer monitor and I found a device that takes two video signals and will put them side by side or one on top of the other via co-ax in & out. (I think it was meant for tv's). Other wise I can't think of a good way to run multiple cameras without having to mount multiple screens.
the cameras connect via RCA video cable, all I need to do is buy a cheap RCA switcher (like $8 on ebay) and I can just hit a switch to view the camera I need at the moment. Or I can can get three displays but that is overkill, and asking for someone to break into my jeep. Better invest in an alarm system too.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

go to my buddy's shop al n eds they have cameras that can be bar mounted for shooting wheeling video. i have been debating this for a while now to and it would be cool to get a straight a head shot oh the wheeling trip
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

I have mirror don't need camera for backing up. But camera in front for seeing over ledges would be nice. Would be nice to be-able to see what the spotter is pointing at. secdond camera would go in the rack to film the trip.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 AM

Year: 87 cherokee and 02 grand
Engine: 4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm

i saw some at autozone for like 70 bucks and had the same thought.. let us know how it turns out.. pics of installation!!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Seasoned Member

So I decided for my front camera I want to install a cd/dvd player that has a flip up 7" LCD monitor. The only problem is that where the stock cd player is there isn't enough room for the LCD to flip up without hitting the top lip of the dash. Does anyone know if there is a way to move the ac/heater control unit to the top din so that I can install the new unit in the lower din space? Anyone done this? My other option is to cut a space out of the dash but I don't really want to do that.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 AM

Year: 87 cherokee and 02 grand
Engine: 4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm

I think kenwood makes a couple models that flip down. Most of those back up cameras come with screens anyways. But if your heart is set on an in-dash, I recommend a flip down style. Check out crutchfield.com. They also have a free catalogue.

Still awaiting pix of camera installation!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I am working on this myself at the moment, although for a different purpose. I have two wireless cameras and I am mounting one on the front and the other goes in the turret on top of the XJ. My XJ is becoming an airsoft tank for games, and rather than cut a hole in the top for a gunner I am working on a remote control turret I can bolt onto the roof rack. That way it can still be my DD, then on weekends pull double duty for my airsoft company. :-)

Have the R/C stuff for the turret and the big brown truck just dropped off the two cameras (wireless complete with IR night vision) and receiver. Gunner will have joystick for right/left another for up/down and 14" LCD for gun camera and switch for "fire". Gun in question is a replica of a Browning M2 .50. :-)
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Destro
I am working on this myself at the moment, although for a different purpose. I have two wireless cameras and I am mounting one on the front and the other goes in the turret on top of the XJ. My XJ is becoming an airsoft tank for games, and rather than cut a hole in the top for a gunner I am working on a remote control turret I can bolt onto the roof rack. That way it can still be my DD, then on weekends pull double duty for my airsoft company. :-)

Have the R/C stuff for the turret and the big brown truck just dropped off the two cameras (wireless complete with IR night vision) and receiver. Gunner will have joystick for right/left another for up/down and 14" LCD for gun camera and switch for "fire". Gun in question is a replica of a Browning M2 .50. :-)
wow, you're hard core...
Old 07-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Seasoned Member

LOL- well most of my off-road driving these days is on paintball fields (I own an airsoft/paintball company)- so what better use out of the XJ than on the field?

The XJ will still get used for real wheeling, as well as DD. I don't NEED the XJ though, as I can drive one of my other 4 cars instead if I break something. I just like the XJ best.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Destro
LOL- well most of my off-road driving these days is on paintball fields (I own an airsoft/paintball company)- so what better use out of the XJ than on the field?

The XJ will still get used for real wheeling, as well as DD. I don't NEED the XJ though, as I can drive one of my other 4 cars instead if I break something. I just like the XJ best.
You own a paintball/airsoft company? and your dd is a tank? you're really livin' the dream aren't you? and I though I was doing well making it as a musician, just getting to play music for a living. You get to play with toys for a living. I'm actually kinda jealous.

Quick Reply: front camera for wheeling?