Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Floor Pan rust through holes recommendations (differnet from the usual ??)...

Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Floor Pan rust through holes recommendations (differnet from the usual ??)...

The 1995 Sport (4dr. 178k miles, auto trans) has through holes in the front passenger side (outside the 'frame rails')..about a 4" x 6" area. Driver's side has it same area (about 1" x 3").

Now...in PA we have an inspection, so it won't pass with the rust through.

I've seen the "cut out and pop rivet or weld" in a search on here...

I actually have a floor pan for the passenger side (didn't realize the rust through was there on the driver's side). I can get one for the driver's side.

HOWEVER!!!....

My brother is the welder. He's going to do a hell of a lot better job than I will (and we intend to do the rectangular pipe/rocker/slider mod I saw on here for the rusted rocker panels).

So, I need:

Recommendations on how to remove the rust, put a metal plate above the area....without doing something too permanent until I can get to his place (3 hrs away...and he gets free to do it over a weekend...once he gets done with his CJ project...so figure a month or more).

I intend to do the bed liner inside (or at the very least POR-15) to prevent further rust issues, but I can't do that until after he has done the permanent welds and mods... To keep the wife happy, I need to replace the carpet (too dirty to salvage)...that will go over the interior coating.

So...

Looking for recommendations on a 'temporary fix' for the floors that will pass inspection, last a month and not screw up a more permanent fix later. I thought about aluminum flashing, painted black, pop riveted right at the edge of where the rust is cut out...but am looking for other recommendations for better ideas...

Thanks!

AFARR