Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Floor Jack

Hey guys, looking to get a floor jack for christmas. Yes I know I should already have one, but I don't and I'm tired of borrowing one from friends all the time.

Just curious how high the jack would need to reach for a jeep with 2" lift and 30" tires would need.

And curious on what you guys like or recommend.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Depends on where you jack it. I have a normal height jack and it lifts just fine from the axle tubes or shock mounts. If you want to lift from the body, forget about it. Not sure of ANY heavy duty floor jack that would work.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Package deal from Sears:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...G1#reviewsWrap

Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Not a bad deal right there, But I went with a heavy duty floor jack. 6 ton. I like feeling safe.

And you cant beat the one pump up option!

Besides if you ever need a little more room have a piece of 4x6 wood.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Garbage jack.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/CreepersJacksStands/PRDOVR~0090021P/Motomaster%252BAluminum%252BRacing%252BJack.jsp?lo cale=en

I use that sucker. Had it a few years and use it almost weekly. Still works great.

Don't cheap out and buy a 20$ floor jack and 15$ axle stands. 40$ for axle stands and around 150$ for the jack is your best and SAFEST bet.

For you for example:

Jack:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Stands:
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Garbage jack.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/CreepersJacksStands/PRDOVR~0090021P/Motomaster%252BAluminum%252BRacing%252BJack.jsp?lo cale=en

I use that sucker. Had it a few years and use it almost weekly. Still works great.

Don't cheap out and buy a 20$ floor jack and 15$ axle stands. 40$ for axle stands and around 150$ for the jack is your best and SAFEST bet.

For you for example:

Jack:

Stands:
Thats funny because I had the jack above from sears for over 12 years. GG calling junk when you now nothing about it.

Is it the best? NO Will it work for someone who needs it here and there. YES.

You spew alot of crap.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with Destination. I've had the same Craftsman jack for about 10 years now and it works perfectly fine. Don't call something garbage unless you know it's garbage.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I agree with Destination. I've had the same Craftsman jack for about 10 years now and it works perfectly fine. Don't call something garbage unless you know it's garbage.
This is what led me to say he spews a lot of crap.

If you broke something, you did it wrong.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Garbage jack.

For you for example:

Jack:

Stands:
the red aluminum jack you pointed out is the same as the aluminum one pump floor jack from craftsman... and they sell it for a little less... as for the other one more money spend buying it doesn't mean that it's better.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
Thats funny because I had the jack above from sears for over 12 years. GG calling junk when you now nothing about it.

Is it the best? NO Will it work for someone who needs it here and there. YES.

You spew alot of crap.
wtf is your problem? right into talking crap? By the way its spelt "Know"

So what it works for 12 years for you. I buy my tools based on what advice I get from guys who have been mechanics for 20 years plus.

You're trying to say that what I just said there is incorrect and therefore several 20+ year mechanics are also wrong.

Tough guy. Jesus christ.

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
the red aluminum jack you pointed out is the same as the aluminum one pump floor jack from craftsman... and they sell it for a little less... as for the other one more money spend buying it doesn't mean that it's better.
The warranty is why I buy mastercraft over sears. Any time I've ever broken something, even if it was abused it was still replaced without question.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

I actually would love to see pictures of when sears won't take your tools back... not being a dick here I actually want to see when they say no... They have taken my tools back even after I broke them in their parking lot using it wrong with them watching... I wonder if your sears store manager is just being evil.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00jeepXJ
I actually would love to see pictures of when sears won't take your tools back... not being a dick here I actually want to see when they say no... They have taken my tools back even after I broke them in their parking lot using it wrong with them watching... I wonder if your sears store manager is just being evil.
I think its a difference in policy between the two countries because I know several people here(through different stores) that were denied having tools returned because it was a year later or they said it was "abused" etc.

Where as at Canadian tire I've used my 3/8s ratchet as a hammer because i was too lazy and then it had difficulty getting into gear. They asked how it happened, i told them the guy laughed and gave me a new one.

My stepdad bought a set of wrenches from sears and one of the ears broke off a year later and they wouldnt let him return it. Just for one example.

I also know many people who buy their tools from Sears in the US "Abuse" tools and can still return it.

My only explanation is a difference in policy between the two countries within Sears.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

wtf is your problem? right into talking crap? By the way its spelt "Know"

So what it works for 12 years for you. I buy my tools based on what advice I get from guys who have been mechanics for 20 years plus.

You're trying to say that what I just said there is incorrect and therefore several 20+ year mechanics are also wrong.

Tough guy. Jesus christ.

The warranty is why I buy mastercraft over sears. Any time I've ever broken something, even if it was abused it was still replaced without question.

Tough guy? LMAO Who said anything about getting tough? I have seen more then one post from you that is complete crap. I can see you have no argument as you resorted to picking one word I had typo with. Good job!

My father was also a mechanic for 20+ years so the eff what. It dont mean you have to buy the most expensive tool to do the job and that's a proven FACT.

He never said anything about having to use it everyday, week in and week out. So it was simply an option. I do not have or use that one anymore, since I found one mismarked that was a heavy duty and picked it up for more then 75% off.

Moron, Sponge bob
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I have that exact jack in my garage. Ups - it is cheap, pretty small, and should last a long time (over 5 years with no issues so far). Downs - it is "regular" pump action, so it takes a little longer to get to the lift surface than the awesome 1 or 2 pump rockstars.
While the lifting arm is not super long, it has been plenty for my needs on a Jeep on 35s. And since 3 tons will lift your entire Jeep, it is more than adequate in weight rating.

It is not a garbage jack, nor is it unsafe.

Last edited by FloydXJ; 12-20-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Destination XJ
Tough guy? LMAO Who said anything about getting tough? I have seen more then one post from you that is complete crap. I can see you have no argument as you resorted to picking one word I had typo with. Good job!

My father was also a mechanic for 20+ years so the eff what. It dont mean you have to buy the most expensive tool to do the job and that's a proven FACT.

He never said anything about having to use it everyday, week in and week out. So it was simply an option. I do not have or use that one anymore, since I found one mismarked that was a heavy duty and picked it up for more then 75% off.

Moron, Sponge bob
You immediately start **** with me. I don't know what you're talking about but if you want to ACTUALLY discuss this "crap" you're talking about you can PM me.

Clearly you're doing this via a message board because you are trying to prove your manhood.

I'm not going to argue with you just to make you feel better about your manhood, obesity or whatever else is giving you low enough self esteem that you feel the need to start this stuff with me in an open forum.

Take your BS elsewhere, this isn't a daycare.

Again, if you wish to continue you're welcome to PM me.

------------

No you don't need the most expensive tools to do the job correctly, rarely do I buy expensive tools but when it comes to a good set of jack stands I go with 3 1/2 ton or larger that way I can put any of my vehicles up on the jacks without worrying. Same with jacks, I've seen cheap 30-40$ jacks fail and its pretty scary seeing a piece of steel fly apart and then a 1/4 plate bend like plastic.

I prefer to be safe, you can recover someone with chains.. doesnt mean any of us do. thats all I'm saying.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack