Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time Jeep Owner looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First time Jeep Owner looking for advice

Want to do 3 inch lift on my 1999 xj Cherokee, what are some key things i should not forget while doing this project. Is there any major things to look out for while in progress with this. What are some reccomended lift kit producers.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/

Boom. Done.

Welcome
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I-6 <200k

X3
You don't even have to ask for it!
Cherokee Forum comes with all your answers standard straight from the factory, er, community!
Stickies & write ups leave lots of room here for other stuff besides working on our Jeeps, right everybody?
I... um, work on my Jeep a lot... less than I should!
Seriously, check out the library. Searching function isn't the best, but just follow the forum by topic. Write ups at the bottom.

Short attention version:
Write-ups at the bottom. 97% already discussed.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993

Originally Posted by xjsnake
Sorry if that came across rude. Been dealing with screaming kids all day and it gave me a killer headache. Welcome to the forum and I apologize if I wasn't the friendliest.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:24 PM

Year: 2001

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the process of a 3" lift setup myself.

Before you start gathering lift components, how are your stock leaf packs?
Stock height, measure from center of wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch. You should be at 17.5 up front and 17 in the rear. If you're sagged out in the rear, get a kit with a full leaf pack. if you're @ 17, I'd get a set of shackle relocation brackets + 1-2" adjustable shackles to lift the rear, and then get a set of 3" lift coils up front. You will also need shocks. Don't go cheap here, you'll regret it in the long run. I'm a big fan of bilstein. You will also want to get front lower control arms. I would highly recommend getting adjustable units here, that way you can go with a bigger lift later if you want and just adjust the arms out some. Fixed arms would need replaced and that's a waste of money in the long run.

As for the other components, it seems to be a case-by-case scenerio. Some people need an adjustable track bar and others don't. Some need a SYE (or at least a TC drop) to cure driveline vibes, and some dont.

So if your leafs are good, hers' a list:
shackle relocation brackets
1-2" adjustable shackles
3" coil springs
quality shocks
adjustable lower control arms
optional:
adjustable track bar
slip yoke eliminator/ transfer case drop

If your leafs are sagged or worn out:
I'd recommend a full 3" lift kit form a quality vendor like Rock Krawler, Rough Country, Skyjacker, and many others. Read around a bit and see what people like or hate. But definitely look for the same features mentioned above. Adjustable LCAs, quality shocks, etc...

I recently ordered (most of it hasn't even arrived yet)
(4wd.com) Bilstein 5100 series shocks - 321 to my door
(4wd.com) Rock Krawler 3" coils - 127 to my door
Rough Country shackle relocation brackets + 1-2" adjustable shackles - 185 to my door

I'm still shopping around for adj LCAs but leaning heavily towards the Rock Krawler ones. I have a complete 3.5" RK kit on my TK and LOVE the quality of their products and the customer service when I had an issue or two installing the kid.
I plan to wait on the TC drop/SYE to see if I get vibes or not.

Edit to add:
What terrain will you be wheeling in? Mud, rocks, wilderness settings, etc. and what are your plans with it?
The reason I ask is everyone buys their first jeep and starts to just throw parts at it without doing any sort of research, figuring the bigger the better or since some else has this or that, that's the best thing to do. This is typically the wrong way to think for a first time jeeper or beginning wheeler.
A good set of tires and a rear locker or limited slip dif get you a LOT of places a lifted Jeep with open differentials or crappy tires can't go. Something to consider.

Last edited by mithuth; 12-25-2011 at 09:28 PM.