Old 03-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default First Aid Kits and locations

Hey all
I'm in the process of building a general first aid kit for the jeep. I haven't ordered much yet (i get paid next weekend) but i plan on a basic 'cover all' kit from being at work and needing headache medicine, up to more serious "hope this keeps me alive until the squad gets here"

I realize that for longer trips where you could be hours away from help , a larger and more expansive kit would be prudent, but as this rig is also my DD im looking at an "EMT" pouch sized kit of the "rip-away" variety. This way I can mount it to velcro- I was thinking either on the passenger side of the console, or behind the console in the back seat area (around the rear ash tray)

I guess my question is, do you have a kit like this? whats in it? where do you keep it? has it ever saved your bacon?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I mounted my first aid kit to the rear interior panel where the spare tire mounts. With 33s, the spare is on a tire carrier. I cut the tab off that hooked the tire and mounted the first aid kit over that. I got a universal kit, physical dimensions are approx 4x6x2.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I mounted my first aid kit to the rear interior panel where the spare tire mounts. With 33s, the spare is on a tire carrier. I cut the tab off that hooked the tire and mounted the first aid kit over that. I got a universal kit, physical dimensions are approx 4x6x2.
not a bad spot. id considered mounting it in the 'cubby hole' even.

where'd you get yours? the agency I work for, our officers are starting to carry FAKs in their vehicles, they seem to be a blowout kit from an online AR500 armor vendor.

I dont intend for mine to be that level, but the spirit is the same! ive found that Chinook medical gear has good prices on stuff, compared to amazon. i can live without the two day free shipping if most of the stuff costs half as much! this might be a place to check out if you are wanting to modify or add to a pre-bought kit, or build your own.

Taking a first aid class would be a good idea too!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

In addition to a first aid kit, you might want to also include a small fire extinguisher.

I used to carry one in my old '94 XJ. Been meaning to get one for my 2000 but haven't got around to it yet.

I witnessed a roll over car accident that landed upside down in a drainage ditch on a lonely country road.
Immediately called 911 but in the meantime the girl inside was screaming 'get me out'.
Her doors were pinned in by the sides of that deep ditch.
Then a little smoke started coming out from the engine bay. Wished i had an extinguisher then.
Luckily the County police and fire dept. showed up a few minutes later.

She ended up shaken but OK once the cop broke the rear window where she crawled out of.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Wife bought me this box:
https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Empty-First-Aid-Box/dp/B007P00M4W/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489279257&sr=8-1&keywords=red+metal+first+aid+box https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Empty-First-Aid-Box/dp/B007P00M4W/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489279257&sr=8-1&keywords=red+metal+first+aid+box

I had one of these kits:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-94118-80025T-Protection-Construction-Industrial/dp/B0050DUVDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489279380&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+first+aid+kit https://www.amazon.com/3M-94118-80025T-Protection-Construction-Industrial/dp/B0050DUVDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489279380&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+first+aid+kit
. I bought it for a job I was running due to the facilities group not packing one in the gang box. Never used it, and since I paid for it took it home. It filled out the metal box well.

I attempted to mount it in the cubby on the pass side, but then it wouldn't open. Mounted where the spare goes, it's above the wheel well and fuel filler hump. Cargo doesn't really fit in that area anyways.

As far as extinguisher, I have a 90. I mounted it on the floor between the driver's seat and the door.

Last edited by bad_idea; 03-11-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a kit from Adventure Medical. I don't really have specific mounting spot for it in the Jeep. I've been fortunate enough to have only needed it for minor cuts or scrapes.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my first aid kit, I carry bandages almost exclusively. Triangle bandages, Ace bandages, lots and lots of gauze, and some vet wrap. Duck tape is good here too. Most FAKs you see are full of little things for knee scrapes, bug bites, and the like. Piddly stuff. I figure, if I need a FAK, someone's bleeding. Bad.

Go with big bandages and gauze. Apply direct pressure, and if someone is hurt bad, it'll help cover the wound so the injured doesn't get a good look at their exposed bone/muscle/blood and start going into shock from the sight. That **** happens!

Take the cute little kits for papercuts. Those are handy too. But be ready to get a squirting compound fracture level injury to the hospital, and you're covered for the rest of the stuff.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

My first aid kit includes,
Extra fluids (10w30, brake and trans fluid)
Basic tool set, torx bits, and a hammer
Recovery equipment (straps, tie-downs, etc)
Multimeter
OBDII Sanner

Usually enough to fix most injuries on the trail, anything worse and I would probably call for a tow.

You did mean Jeep first-aid, right?
​​​​​​
Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC
Default Only first aid kit I'll ever need.

cause Imma badazz. lol.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

That reminds me, my first aid whiskey supply is running low, should refill that ASAP.

One of those things I hope I never have to use, but it's there in case of emergency (running out of alcohol while camping for example).
Old 03-15-2017, 02:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I worked on an ambulance for a number of years. I'll snap some photos of a kit I keep in my backpack which I carry every day, whether in my truck or at my desk at work. Its relatively small but full of the most common/most used items. I also have a larger kit i've pieced together that is in a large plastic ammo can and broken down into smaller containers inside that has everything from IV's to airways. If you're curious about the larger kit I can snap some photos of that one as well.

Im not sure of your background but if you haven't taken any sort of first aid/basic life support classes I strongly recommend it. Below I'll list some items that are staples in any first aid kit.

-Various size bandaids (i prefer the cloth type)
-sterile gauze pads (various sizes)
-Roll gauze (3" wide is sufficient)
-Waterproof and cloth tape (IV tape can take the place of "waterproof" tape)
-Ace bandage (used for a sprained joint, to stop bleeding or even splinting)
-Trauma dressing (aka abdominal pad. Basically a large, absorbent gauze pad)
-antiseptic wipes
-antibiotic ointment
-aspirin, ibuprofen, antacid, Benadryl, electrolyte tablets
-burn cream or a burn dressing
-eye wash bottle
-tweezers
-shears
-Sewing needle and scalpel blade.
- A sharpie or permanent marker
-Nitrile gloves
-CPR barrier
-Triangle bandage (can be used as a sling, to stop bleeding, etc)
-Small roll of duct tape (cut a length of an old bic pen and wrap the tape around that)

A couple other items that I also keep in my small first aid kit is a Quick clot sponge and RATS tourniquet, those two items can be very hazardous if used incorrectly so I would recommend reading up on or getting training on them before throwing them in your bag of tricks.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

I snapped a couple quick pics, all the items listed above are currently in this compact kit (minus the ace bandage and eye wash bottle). I can break it all apart if you're curious.

My hand for size reference

Opened up
Old 03-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

If you have bad winters i would also keep a blanket and sugary treats on you with some protein bars, candy would be for diabetics and the bars are good if your stuck and need something in your stomach and they dont take up much space.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Unless someone is currently employed as a licensed Dr, nurse, EMT, etc. I would be very cautious before offering any type of aid to someone unknown to you. Considering the fact that we live in the most lawsuit crazed society on earth, your best intentions could land you in court defending everything you own.
If you witness a vehicle crash, call 911 and wait for someone protected by a very stout personal liability insurance policy to show up. Mass shooting or other such event, call 911 as you're getting the hell out of harms way.

Moral of the story, call 911 & wait, the only real heroes are dead or flat broke busted...
Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Unless someone is currently employed as a licensed Dr, nurse, EMT, etc. I would be very cautious before offering any type of aid to someone unknown to you. Considering the fact that we live in the most lawsuit crazed society on earth, your best intentions could land you in court defending everything you own.
If you witness a vehicle crash, call 911 and wait for someone protected by a very stout personal liability insurance policy to show up. Mass shooting or other such event, call 911 as you're getting the hell out of harms way.

Moral of the story, call 911 & wait, the only real heroes are dead or flat broke busted...
It's terrible that you say that. It's worse that you are right. Makes me want to kick a lawyer in the *****.