Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fender Vents

Hi all, Ive been pondering the idea of doing some home brew hood vents but i havent convinced myself that its really worth the gain. I also dont wanna open a can of worms by lettin all that excess water in..... (I know i could use de electric grease or drip pans, just still not convinced)

So, my questions are has anybody done fender vents? would fender vents still lower ambient temps? or is it stupid hacking up your inner and outer fenders? You really dont have a whole lot of room to play with it seems. Atleast without having to move crap around

there was a pic floatin around on Naxja, a guy had marine vents installed above his bushwackers...looked pretty slick but i wanna know if it works!

thanks for reading

nick
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting concept. Working in the HVAC field I've come to find that if you're going to try to get heat to escape, go to the highest point to release it. Heat rises. The hood vents are really the best option because the hood is obviously the highest point on the front of the Jeep. And the heat can escape right off the manifolds and engine when the Jeep is turned off. With the side vents, I can see a heat "pocket" siting there under the hood until all temps have gone down. I think fender vents above the wheel wells are pointless in that the same amount of heat could just exit the wheel wells. The vents were probably more for show than for function.
Lots of guys run hood vents and have no issues with water with and without drip pans. The TPS is what gets effected by water and it's very easy to fab up a cover for it if that's the case. We drive through water and mud so I can't see rain water being a real big problem here. It' also depends on where you place them too.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Lyon
Interesting concept. Working in the HVAC field I've come to find that if you're going to try to get heat to escape, go to the highest point to release it. Heat rises. The hood vents are really the best option because the hood is obviously the highest point on the front of the Jeep. And the heat can escape right off the manifolds and engine when the Jeep is turned off. With the side vents, I can see a heat "pocket" siting there under the hood until all temps have gone down. I think fender vents above the wheel wells are pointless in that the same amount of heat could just exit the wheel wells. The vents were probably more for show than for function.
Lots of guys run hood vents and have no issues with water with and without drip pans. The TPS is what gets effected by water and it's very easy to fab up a cover for it if that's the case. We drive through water and mud so I can't see rain water being a real big problem here. It' also depends on where you place them too.

ahhh...forgot about heat rises, good input mr Lyon!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Plus if it doesn't work now you need new fenders because you cut holes in them. Judging by your avatar, that Jeep looks so nice I don't know that you'd want to be chopping up like that.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Lyon
Plus if it doesn't work now you need new fenders because you cut holes in them. Judging by your avatar, that Jeep looks so nice I don't know that you'd want to be chopping up like that.
good call, I remember now that guy from naxja was covering up a hole from a snorkle so he covered it with a boat louver
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Haha, there you go then.