Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Fear of Rolling Over

Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fear of Rolling Over

I am pretty new to wheeling but absolutely love it. My xj is my daily driver and is on 31's with a 4.5" lift. I took it out for the first REAL wheeling trip in it and had one really scary moment. I went to climb this steep muddy hill and went sliding to the side which was much steeper...so now I was leaning heavily to one side and looking at the sky. I froze. My passenger got out which was very sketchy as he was on the high side. The jeep behind me (with 2 guys in it) and my pass. tied a couple straps to my jeep and with a little brute force and crawling very slowly I was able to get it turned square then made it up the hill.

This really had me thinking though. I REALLY DO NOT WANT to roll my xj. I don't mind some battle scars, but really can't afford to total it. It would deffinately be the end of my xj adventures for a very long time. So I guess my whole point in this is to get others thoughts and suggestions about how hard to push it but then what to do if you unexpectantly find yourself in this situation. Also, are there any easy roll cage solutions to keep your jeep still streetable after rolling without compromising interior room?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

o

Last edited by xjbones; 01-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xjbones
not easy but here ya go.... it runs thru the roof inside too. you could do it without going thru the roof and lose no interior space.

Ultimately that is what I would want to do, but wonder if there is a less radical looking design (since my wife will still have to ride in it...LOL) that is still functional. I am not sure how little of a cage I could get away with and it still do its job.

Is that your daily driver?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

no..i have a work van too.

i do drive it to and from trails though.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

If you are good a fabing, look into hybrid cages. They are really neat, a pretty low profile. If you search on NAXJA, you can find lots of good pics and build threads.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Seasoned Member

I do like the hybrid cages. This is probably down the road a ways. How about some stories from people that rolled their xj without a cage. How did you and the Jeep come out?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0L

There's a thread on jeepforum where a guy rolled his cageless xj down like a 250 foot drop. He survived, but he had two bloodshot eyes and I think a concussion and lots of other stuff. I think he got a new jeep and transfered the salvageable parts to it.

I'm not sure of the name of the thread over there, but it's in the Cherokee non-tech section.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Even with an Exocage you will still do damage in a roll. More than likely you will loose glass and if you roll on rocks then expect to cave in the sides of the XJ. Cages are more to protect the occupants than the vehicle itself in a roll altho an exo cage will cut down on damage considerably.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you avoid getting side-on to the hills, you avoid rolling over , most of the time. It's not a bad thing to take you foot of the gas and roll back down a hill, in order to get a better line up the hill.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

LCG bro it makes a huge difference..thats why i ditched my rack and roof spare.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 AM

to be honest, id amost be willing to bet you werent as close to rolling it as you though...even with a 4.5 inch lift, these are very stable rigs..im not saying they wont roll over, but sometimes uve gotta really be doing something dumb...and also, the longer you wheel, the more likely something like this could happen..
just dont get cocky over time...that is what will roll you over

i do somet pretty dumb things in the XJ...but everytime i do something dumb, as im doing it, i feel what the XJ is going to do...and if its a very steep hill im climbing, and i feel it just a tine bit start to go sideways i stop

another thing you can do is if you find yourself in a situation like that, and you think quick enough, as its sliding sideways nail the trouttle and turn into the lean...if there are a couple trees in the way, well id rather nail a tree then roll over with one of these...most likely the tree would stop you and you could get help

thats the only thing i hate about XJ, is, although they dont roll easy, when they do roll, like ive seen on some youtube vids, the top just flattens like a pancake...thats the only reason i miss wheeling wranglers....is their factory cage....granted its not the best cage in the world, but it will protect the driver in a full roll over ( when i say full i just mean all the way over once and back on its wheels) as long as they have their seatbelt on...

on that note, never wheel without your seat belt...i always wear mine, and i always make my passengers wear theirs...

the fact is, in this hobbie/sport, it can be very dangerous, even at a time when you may think its not..so just the fact you go wheeling, you alway run a good chance on rolling over unless you just mud bog thru flat fields..

there is a place in southern ohio that that opened up a couple months ago that some friends of mine and i went there with our jeeps, on the day they opened..

the way its set up is, you drive into the parking lot, and to the right there is a 600 foot hill that stretches for about a mile...and there are trails that wind thru this big HUGE hill that is a hill WITH hills..lol..its amazing, but not for the faint of heart wheeler..

if you dont want to roll your jeep, dont wheel at this place period...there are trails that are flat in some spots that go along the hill, not up or down, and then all of a sudden you come to an extreme off camber spot..but it didnt stop there, see were are about 400 feet up this hill, and so when we hit this spot, we werent just leaning, but if the jeep slipped just a little bit, it wasnt going to stop until it got to the bottom of the 400 feet...its a bit unerving at times..lol
Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

i know that feeling , but you get used to it and learn to realize its not as bad you think ,you start learning your limitations, ive had my wheels off the ground and didnt roll
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

my jeep is super low and super wide

i have come close

but if you are just getting into this, you are probably thinking you came close to rolling when in reality you werent even close. i know i used to think that.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
my jeep is super low and super wide

i have come close

but if you are just getting into this, you are probably thinking you came close to rolling when in reality you werent even close. i know i used to think that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRLMxXxKd7o
hahahaha that sucks but funny as hell
Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the words guys. I am sure it was not right at the tipping point, but my fear was sliding down the slippery hill to the much steeper part which I am sure would have done it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fear of Rolling Over