Electrical System Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Electrical System Woes...

I starting digging into my electrical system today- I knew it would be a LOT of fun!

The problems were minor- The radio didn't work, the cigarette lighter didn't work- and the blower motor for the heater/AC was disconnected from the dash and re-run to a switch on the console, which was directly connected to the battery via an alligator clip... Inventive.

So, First I tried to tackle the radio. The fuse was missing- So I replaced it- And it worked. Could it be that easy? I flipped on the headlights, and heard an odd noise come from the engine compartment AND the rear of the car. For some reason, When the radio fuse is in and you turn the headlights on, the rear windshiled washer comes on! Don't ask me why or how- But it does. The previous owner fixed this by pulling the fuse, I opted to disconnect the washer fluid pump instead... Any suggestions as to why this happens?

I messed around with the switch on the heater panel, which the previous owner had disconnected. I gave up after a few minutes, the switch in the console works just fine. BUT- I didn't feel good about how it was wired, with the alligator clip attached to the positive terminal on the battery, then directly to the blower motor through the switch... No fuse. So, I ran a wire from the fuse INTENDED for the blower to the switch. Works fine.

Cigarette lighter still is inoperable, But that's minor. I only need it to charge the cell phone, so I'll probably just install an accessory plug somewhere...