Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dyno's don't lie...

Check this out.
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/do...jeep40tech.pdf
Kenne Bell makes superchargers.
The above pdf has from good numbers for stocks jeeps and with a Supercharger.
They also make mention of power gains from Cold Air Intake 13HP, and another thing that picked up 5HP but we're not allowed to talk about here.

They're been making superchargers for years so you know they know how to make HP.

Also look at how flat that 4.0 torque line is.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

i really like how the torque is level for the most part in all runs,like u already said,so now ima have to save up for a supercharger and cold air intake lol
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V-6

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
i really like how the torque is level for the most part in all runs,like u already said,so now ima have to save up for a supercharger and cold air intake lol
I would prefer that supercharger setup rather than a turbo, just seems alot simpler and more efficient
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

me2 i just like superchargers so much more and i love hearing them whistle,and theres no lag like in a turbo
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

A positive displacement Super Charger (aka Whipple Charger) is the best way to go without stroking the engine.
Its instant power and no waiting for a turbo to spool up, or a centrifugal supercharger is the same way, boost requires RPM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
me2 i just like superchargers so much more and i love hearing them whistle,and theres no lag like in a turbo
thats what i keep trying to tell everyone, but they have those little ricers or pissed off bumble bees in their blood and just like the thought of a almost useless turbo in a jeep
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rednekwizard
thats what i keep trying to tell everyone, but they have those little ricers or pissed off bumble bees in their blood and just like the thought of a almost useless turbo in a jeep
in a jeep...useless,but i seen a honda crx that had a a turbo and it was barley over 1000 HP,what im tryin to say is that turbos have there place and so do superchargers,but ill always choose a supercharger
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

I'm all for superchargers and have wanted to supercharge mine for a while now....a guy in my club has the avenger blower on his wrangle......I talked to Kenne Bell about a year ago and they no longer make this blower because they dont make that blower case anymore........which sucks cause I love Kenne Bell superchagers
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 9XJSPORT7
I'm all for superchargers and have wanted to supercharge mine for a while now....a guy in my club has the avenger blower on his wrangle......I talked to Kenne Bell about a year ago and they no longer make this blower because they dont make that blower case anymore........which sucks cause I love Kenne Bell superchagers
heres one that 4wheeloffroad is using
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kit/index.html

these guys have one for the jk but you can probably figure out a way to put it in an XJ
http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/

And another just for the XJ
http://www.rippmods.com/RIPP_Superch...01xj-sds-1.htm

Last edited by rednekwizard; 12-08-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Turbo's are the way to go. You can get so much more power out of a turbo. As far as the turbo lag goes they make a quick fix for that at the push of a button.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 AM

plus the fact that 4wheel gained a documented 3 mpg, everybody wants better gas mileage along with more power, so why not go with it, still trying to find the power output of that sc setup they have on the XJ

kenne belle got 87 at the engine and 77 at the rear wheels

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...-jeepgrand.htm

but i know you can get more with other pulley setups

Last edited by rednekwizard; 12-08-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

turbos are not the way to go when low RPM torque is what your'e after.... alot of people use these things to crawl at almost an idle over rocks and logs... turbo does you no good there.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
turbos are not the way to go when low RPM torque is what your'e after.... alot of people use these things to crawl at almost an idle over rocks and logs... turbo does you no good there.
x2 youd be waiting for a long time for the turbo to kick in when your crawling, but i could see if you we're out in the dunes or hill climbing than yeah a turbo would be good but i think id rather have a supercharger, instant power
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andersonj05
Turbo's are the way to go. You can get so much more power out of a turbo. As far as the turbo lag goes they make a quick fix for that at the push of a button.
Geez how much power are you trying to make? If anyone is considering forced induction they're obviously thinking of a 100HP gain at tops. We have enough driveline problems as it is.

Originally Posted by Caish
A positive displacement Super Charger (aka Whipple Charger) is the best way to go without stroking the engine.
Its instant power and no waiting for a turbo to spool up, or a centrifugal supercharger is the same way, boost requires RPM.
FYI: ALL superchargers are positive displacement. I agree though, a supercharger is the way to go on a Jeep and not b/c of this said lag issue you're complaining about. we have a 4.0L engine... Size the turbo appropriately and you'll never be happier. It's the complexity of the system. Its not necessary. I would go Centrifugal and call it a day; might one of these days (sitting on my desk as we speak)

Last edited by s14unimog; 12-08-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Centrifugal belt driven Supercharger is nothing than a belt driven turbo.
IT does not make instant boost off idle it takes RPM to make boost.
The Whipple charger on the other hand makes nearly 100% boost in as little as 1500 rpm.

There is thousands of these roots style whipple chargers to be found.
Buicks, 3800 SC engine.
Fords Super Coupe, I would guess this would be the best one for a jeep application, might even ask Kennie Bell if you could adapt this one to their original Jeep 4.0 setup. It is that close to being the same unit, in looks anyway.

Quick Reply: Dyno's don't lie...