Dodge Durango Steering Box, Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Dodge Durango Steering Box, Upgrade?

Dodge durango steering box?

Is it really that much better?

The reason I ask is my steering box is starting to make alot of noise. Cracking and popping. Is what it sounds like when I turn the steering wheel. I have a spare cherokee steering box I could replace it with, but was wondering if im already pulling it is it really that much better to replace it with a dodge durango steering box? I know I need to get a steering box spacer plate to help strengthen and alleviate some of the stress down the uni-body instead of at the bolt holes. But just wondering are the really that much better. And is it worth my time tracking one down and pulling it out in the juck yard since I already have a stock cherokee one?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Anybody have any input on this? Im gonna try and tackel this soon and would like to know if I should track down a durango steering box or not.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

I would like to know as well. Need a gear box and want to upgrade while i'm replacing it.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

I would also like to know.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

the durango gear box is just bigger and stronger. the cylinder on it is about 1/4" bigger than a stock xj gearbox, and the case is also more heavy duty thus can handle more abuse.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepjunky
the durango gear box is just bigger and stronger. the cylinder on it is about 1/4" bigger than a stock xj gearbox, and the case is also more heavy duty thus can handle more abuse.
What year Dodge Durango should I look for and pull one from? Or does it not matter what year? Are they all the same? And how hard are they to pull out of a Durango? Harder or easier to get to then on a Cherokee?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

There is a complete write up of how to do the swap in the ADVANCED CHEROKEE section. Just use the search function. But here you go https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/du...rango+steering
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/du...houghts-84331/

sorry, was already going and getting the link before you posted that, lol
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Year: 2001

I put a reman (NAPA) Durango box on my 2001. At first, it was wonderful...now, the box is looser than the original box I replaced. The upgrade is worth it...for the strength...but it sucks I have to do this again less than one year later.

Something to consider...after I put the Durango box on I started noticing popping noises when I turned. I re-tightened the three mounting bolts on the box and the noises went away.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
There is a complete write up of how to do the swap in the ADVANCED CHEROKEE section. Just use the search function. But here you go https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/du...rango+steering
I know about the write ups. I know how to pull my cherokee steering box off. That's not what I was asking about. Just wanted to know if its worth it or not and how hard it is to pull the Durango box. Is it going to be a pain in the *** to pull it from the Durango. Basically is it worth my time or not. I already have a spare cherokee box .
Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2K1XJ
I put a reman (NAPA) Durango box on my 2001. At first, it was wonderful...now, the box is looser than the original box I replaced. The upgrade is worth it...for the strength...but it sucks I have to do this again less than one year later.

Something to consider...after I put the Durango box on I started noticing popping noises when I turned. I re-tightened the three mounting bolts on the box and the noises went away.
Hey thanx, that might be all that's wrong with mine. I didn't check to see if the bolts were lose. I just figured it was starting to go bad making all that noise. I'll check that when I get home from work today.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98

What size tire are you turning?might also wanna check and make sure you didn't crack the "frame" where the box bolts up I had a 33x13.5 on mine and it tore the sheetmetal to pieces.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XtreamJ
What size tire are you turning?might also wanna check and make sure you didn't crack the "frame" where the box bolts up I had a 33x13.5 on mine and it tore the sheetmetal to pieces.
Im running a 33X12.50 But it dosent look like it cracked the uni-body any. So I think im ok there.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by aquickmopar
I know about the write ups. I know how to pull my cherokee steering box off. That's not what I was asking about. Just wanted to know if its worth it or not and how hard it is to pull the Durango box. Is it going to be a pain in the *** to pull it from the Durango. Basically is it worth my time or not. I already have a spare cherokee box .
Read the whole thread and your questions will be answered. Yes, it is a PITA to get the Durango box out of the Durango because there is a crossmember right under the box and it is in a tight location.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

So I've been reading into this a little and from what I've found, the case is a bit bigger, but the internals are pretty much the same.

In terms of "beefiness" it's not really much.

If it's an upgrade, it's probably a very minor one at that. I wouldn't even bother doing this upgrade unless your stock one was already failing.

Quick Reply: Dodge Durango Steering Box, Upgrade?