Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do you think I bent my frame?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Do you think I bent my frame?

So towards the end of my last trip to Moab, I was attempting to crawl a ledge that was just a bit more than I could chew. I would get my front wheels up on the first ledge, then there was another ledge both axles had to clear at the same time. I gassed it to try to bounce up it. It was so steep I just couldn't make it over and I would drop back on the bumper pretty hard. I attempted it a few times. The last attempt broke off my D tab--that's how hard I was hitting.

A couple hours later at the gas station, I noticed I tweaked the body. The bumper had pushed against the body and these dimples resulted.

I also have a slight alignment problem now. I don't recall hitting anything too hard. Perhaps crossings Golden Crack could have torqued out the alignment? I mean I was steering pretty dang hard against this:

I just hope my frame isn't jacked. Any opinions?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Nice xj

Wow I don't know if hitting that hard would tweak the frame but I can only imagine so. Probably without frame stiffeners, it could happen?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.slow

I agree, nice XJ. Lovin that color too. Looks like you tweaked the body pretty bad though. That sucks.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It's tweaked, now just wheel the **** out of it.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by rmaytee
So towards the end of my last trip to Moab, I was attempting to crawl a ledge that was just a bit more than I could chew. I would get my front wheels up on the first ledge, then there was another ledge both axles had to clear at the same time. I gassed it to try to bounce up it. It was so steep I just couldn't make it over and I would drop back on the bumper pretty hard. I attempted it a few times. The last attempt broke off my D tab--that's how hard I was hitting.

A couple hours later at the gas station, I noticed I tweaked the body. The bumper had pushed against the body and these dimples resulted.

I also have a slight alignment problem now. I don't recall hitting anything too hard. Perhaps crossings Golden Crack could have torqued out the alignment? I mean I was steering pretty dang hard against this:

I just hope my frame isn't jacked. Any opinions?
Looks like its slightly tweeked just wheel the **** out of it and possibly hsve the frame pulled and put stiffeners on it. If it doesnt bug you to much just leave it and beat it.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Side note don't use the other d ring tab.. its not strong enough
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

Originally Posted by wiggles
Side note don't use the other d ring tab.. its not strong enough
thats what i was thinking. you might want to have someone take it off and re weld it right...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM

I think you're right. Being all tied as a uni body, it's probably tweaked a little. I'll continue to wheel it hard, for sure. I already do. But I also like a good looking rig.

Regarding the d-tab, I couldn't disagree more. Everyone gets so caught up on having a bumper with tabs solid with the frame. I'll weld the tab back on and if I need a tug, I'll use it. Had it not broken off, my damage to the frame could have been worse. The bumpers purpose is to take the abuse, not pass it on to the frame.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

i wasnt implying that the tab should be welded to the frame. mine arent either.

when the tab broke off it shouldve ripped some of the metal off with it. that clean of a break looks like it had minimal penetration to the bumper imo judging from what can be seen in the picture.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
i wasnt implying that the tab should be welded to the frame. mine arent either.

when the tab broke off it shouldve ripped some of the metal off with it. that clean of a break looks like it had minimal penetration to the bumper imo judging from what can be seen in the picture.
I agree with you. He probably would ripped it off the first time he used it as a recovery point
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

Originally Posted by Slim357
I agree with you. He probably would ripped it off the first time he used it as a recovery point
Yeah that d-ring mount should not have come off like that, the weld should be stronger than the surrounding metal, and should have torn or really bent the bumper. If you insist on using it PLEASE don't use it with people standing nearby.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by patclarkbarnes

Yeah that d-ring mount should not have come off like that, the weld should be stronger than the surrounding metal, and should have torn or really bent the bumper. If you insist on using it PLEASE don't use it with people standing nearby.
If you do use it I feel bad for the guys windshield itll knock out when it breaks. Who made the bumper?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slim357

He can run a few beads over that one and it'll be fine.
As for mounting to the factory location... idk if I have gotten lucky but my bumper just grabs the eight factory bolts and has been problem free so I'm sure his will be fine for a while at least.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sandaddik2

He can run a few beads over that one and it'll be fine.
As for mounting to the factory location... idk if I have gotten lucky but my bumper just grabs the eight factory bolts and has been problem free so I'm sure his will be fine for a while at least.
You have been lucky to say the least. You dont have any issues with the shackles hitting the bolt for one of the brackets?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

those are pretty common areas to dimple on a XJ that gets used well. you have frame stiffies? get some. you probably just tweaked up your front end and knocked the alignment out, make sure everything is good and tight and re-align it.

Quick Reply: Do you think I bent my frame?