Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Is the deal worth it? Help and advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is the deal worth it? Help and advice needed!

Hi all,

I live in Australia and I'm currently diriving a tiny 4 cylinder 1999 1.8 litre Holden (Opel) astra 1.8 litre.

At work, a 1995 Jeep Cherokee is being sold and I'm being offered a great deal, to buy this Jeep for $2500AU. Seems like a great deal as long as the car doesn't cause me any headaches to repair.

Obviously, I need to consider the re-sell value and the fact I'd be buying a car that is now 15 years old as opposed to my 10 year old Astra and many people are telling me to be very very careful with my decision.

I know I'm preeching to Jeep fans, however what do you guys think? Can anyone provide me with some advice???
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ziggy1984
Hi all,

I live in Australia and I'm currently diriving a tiny 4 cylinder 1999 1.8 litre Holden (Opel) astra 1.8 litre.

At work, a 1995 Jeep Cherokee is being sold and I'm being offered a great deal, to buy this Jeep for $2500AU. Seems like a great deal as long as the car doesn't cause me any headaches to repair.

Obviously, I need to consider the re-sell value and the fact I'd be buying a car that is now 15 years old as opposed to my 10 year old Astra and many people are telling me to be very very careful with my decision.

I know I'm preeching to Jeep fans, however what do you guys think? Can anyone provide me with some advice???

I'm a new owner...so I can't speak from long experience. However, I got the 95 Sport for a couple of reasons..
#1. It was cheap...$400 US.
#2. It is easy to repair. Radiator blew (and the bearings in the water pump went bad) on the way home....I had the old radiator ready to come out, Thermostat out, water pump out and a few other things...all done in under 2 hours with basic hand tools.

Compare that to my wife's Windstar...I don't think I could get the water pump out without removing the engine (one of the reasons I got rid of it).

Not sure on parts availability in AU....that would probably be the deal breaker.

AFARR
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Yeah, you make a good point. I don't think there's an issue with parts in Australia. Many people drive Jeeps here, I'm fairly certaini that I see a Jeep every 30 minutes or so on the road.

I have a friend who drives an old wrangler...

TOUGH DECISION!

Can any of the long time owners suggest anything?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

as a kinda long term owner, these jeeps are durable and very easy to work on. Ofcourse with it being a 15 year old jeep it'll have problems. but hey, its easy and hopefully parts over there are fairly cheap.

For all you americans the conversion is $2,435.

Look at the thing and make sure its in good condition, otherwise i'd move on, i would think you could find one a little cheaper then that.

Oh btw what part of Australia are you from?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I own a '91 limited, with 69,000 miles on it. It's never had any major problems. Although I did replace the front U joints last spring. (Starting to make a slight noise when turned tightly.) It did have the usual problems from age. Exhaust replaced, brake job, Sagging headliner. Which should be expected. I would not be afraid to drive it across the US. JMO!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: Straight 6 4.0 liter

If you can afford to keep both vehicles, I'd do that. In case something were to happen to the jeep you have a fall back vehicle. I have my 92 cherokee, and I also have a 2009 mazda 3. So no matter what I always have something to fall back on. I paid $950 for my 92, and it needed tires, a tie rod, and some other stuff. So just see what the 95 needs and go from there. You won't regret it though.