To cut or not to cut

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default To cut or not to cut

So recently was toying with the idea of a new look. I really like stubby bumpers so I was thinking of getting one. Along with that I was looking at sets of Baja fenders. Or just cutting and folding them. My jeep is super clean and I want to keep it that way. I'm torn on keeping it looking the way it does or new bumper and cut fenders. I would obviously take a ton of time and effort into it so it stays clean. From pictures a nice cut job looks super sleek and that's what I would go for. Just wanted some opinions on weather I should do it or keep it the way it is.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
So recently was toying with the idea of a new look. I really like stubby bumpers so I was thinking of getting one. Along with that I was looking at sets of Baja fenders. Or just cutting and folding them. My jeep is super clean and I want to keep it that way. I'm torn on keeping it looking the way it does or new bumper and cut fenders. I would obviously take a ton of time and effort into it so it stays clean. From pictures a nice cut job looks super sleek and that's what I would go for. Just wanted some opinions on weather I should do it or keep it the way it is.
I like it. It looks like a classic car to me haha!. The brown color and chrome wheels make it look like it is alot older then in is imo. The hood and visor help give it this effect as well. Looks like a weekend cruiser instead of an offroader. Bumpers and cutting the fenders would dramatically change that
Old 10-25-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by Martlor13
I like it. It looks like a classic car to me haha!. The brown color and chrome wheels make it look like it is alot older then in is imo. The hood and visor help give it this effect as well. Looks like a weekend cruiser instead of an offroader. Bumpers and cutting the fenders would dramatically change that
This one is tuff... personally I like my jeep to look tough so i would go for the cut fenders and stubby bumper (actually planning on doing that myself this weekend) BUT... I really do appreciate how clean your jeep is sir and it would be a shame to muss that up... my vote is buy a second one and cut that one up 😂
Old 10-25-2016, 02:48 PM

if i could afford another one i would already have it haha. I take pride in how clean it is and would hate myself if i mess it up. But looking around on google cut fenders can look very slick.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM

if i could afford another one i would already have it haha. I take pride in how clean it is and would hate myself if i mess it up. But looking around on google cut fenders can look very slick.
They do look good but I feel like it would completely change the look of your jeep

PS how steady is your hand and will you be able to repaint the edges cuz you will lose some paint
Old 10-25-2016, 03:41 PM

I know it would completely change it, thats what im going for. And i think i got a pretty steady hand ive touched up plenty of scratches on the jeep fine
Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM

I know it would completely change it, thats what im going for. And i think i got a pretty steady hand ive touched up plenty of scratches on the jeep fine
hey man i cant really argue with trying to make a jeep look like a badass off road machine good luck make sure you post pics as you go im really interested to see how you go about it cuz im gonna be doing the same thing this weekend
Old 10-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Im at school right now so this wont happen till atleast christmas when i got home so ive got time to think about it. I love having it look classic but i would love to have it look classic and clean but bad *** as well.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

I would consider my Jeep pretty clean and I trimmed my fenders.

To cut or not to cut-forumrunner_20161025_175632.png
Old 10-25-2016, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Im at school right now so this wont happen till atleast christmas when i got home so ive got time to think about it. I love having it look classic but i would love to have it look classic and clean but bad *** as well.
Shooptubes looks clean but not nearly like yours. Your untouched fenders will always be cleaner then trimmed. Especially how you have it now. His is offroad clean. It's got the rugged look, but looks good doing it. Yours is showroom clean ha!
Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i am a fan of a nice beautiful clean xj, which yours appears to be.
i would only cut if you are gonna go all out with it. big lift, big tires, caged, bumpers, etc. a full on trail rig. something to spend loads of money on.

as for yours, if you are gonna keep it simple, i would in my opinion, darken up the trim and polish it up to a mirror finish and be proud of it.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Too much chrome for my taste...
Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Im probably going back to the color matched grill. And while its my daily driveway, i take it offroad a good amount. I would do a front bumper if i trimmed but i wouldnt cage or roof rack or anything. It would still be my DD. If i do decided to keep it the same, I would add a light bar to the factory bumper and thats pretty much it
Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

in the end, it's your jeep. make it how you want it. there are plenty other clean xj's if you want once for keeps sake.

i would kill to have a nice clean, rust free xj to cut up and build my dream trail rig. i just hate dealing with rust. once it's there, it's hard to control.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 PM

Year: 1997

It's your jeep, do whatever you want! That's one of the cleanest I've ever seen...but once you start, it's hard to stop. Instead of doing cut, why don't you cut/add some bushwhackers on there or some thing? Adding some beefiness to it, but still keep it looking clean. (and hide any cutting mistakes....once you cut, you can't go back...)