Sponsored by: DashLynx

Curt Roof Rack w/ Extension (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Thumbs up Curt Roof Rack w/ Extension (Pic Heavy)

When I was searching for some details about a cheap and easy roof rack, I found a lot of recommendations for the Curt rack (#18115) w/ extension (#18117) but I had a hard time finding pictures to see if its what I wanted. Here are some of the rack installed with a few notes at the end. Eventually something heavier duty and lower profile will replace this but it should hold up well for now.

My 1998 Classic (yes, I need to trim the end caps):

Front:

Passenger's Side:

Passenger Rear Corner (the Bronco was my Dad's and is another project):

Rear:

Driver Rear Corner:

Driver's Side (not a great pic, but its what I got):

Rack shots!!

Logo (I don't know of a good way to remove this):

Rack w/ Extension:

Rack w/ Extension:

Rack Front:

Rack Passenger Side:

Rack Rear:

Rack Modified Mount (details below):

Rack Modified Mount:

Rack Modified Mount Clearance:

This rack is fairly light and sturdy; I've heard that its prone to rust from within though. I sealed all of the screw holes and everywhere the rack joins with silicone to help prevent that. The mounts come with u-bolts with a lot of extra threads, to accommodate thicker cross bars on a variety of vehicles I would guess. They also come with plastic ***** with nylon inserts and split washers and these take forever to install. I replaced the ***** with some M6 nylon insert nuts and stainless washers. I also cut about 1" off of each set of threads as the excess causes the threads to stick up below the "floor" of the basket. Right now I have it mounted to my two factory cross bars but I am working on getting two more for additional support.

Feel free to ask any questions and I hope this can help someone out. Total cost should be around $175 shipped (depends on where you order, other hardware, etc). I was able to track down the main part of the rack on special because it had a small scuff on the bottom for about $50 less.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

First of all thank you very much for posting this and taking the time to take all of the photos. I run an internet forum related to another hobby and it always amazes me when a post can be 6 months old and not have any replies at all.

I've been looking at the Curt and what seems to be it's import unbranded cousin being sold by many sellers on ebay. I measured the shorter one's dimensions versus my factory rack and I think I actually want the shorter one (plus it is unbranded on the wind fairing, no logo, and it is only $89 bucks on ebay with free shipping, whereas the Curt branded one is $118 on amazon.

My hope is that if I do end up wanting a longer rack, that the Curt 18117 extension fits into the import rack which I suspect is the same as Curt's 18115.

For anyone also considering the short rack and or the extension, here are the Amazon links:

Amazon.com: Curt 18115 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack: Automotive Amazon.com: Curt 18115 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack: Automotive

Amazon.com: Curt 18117 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack Extension: Automotive Amazon.com: Curt 18117 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack Extension: Automotive

here's the generic one, but it claims to be 39 inches wide, and the Curt says its 37, so now I'm not sure if the Curt extension would work..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360723515115

anyway, thanks again for the photos, it really helps out!
Squelchtone

Here is the side photo of yours and I photoshopped it to see what the non-extended version would look like and also shortened the factory rails since my 01 rails dont run the entire length of the roof

I may just have to get the extension, I'll have to see what it looks like in person. Just feels a dash too short.

Last edited by Squelchtone; 11-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM

Year: 98

I like the look of the extended rack and was thinking of getting this same thing. Thanks for the pics on the xj. The short rack just looks a little too short for the jeep.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:22 PM

ok, I bit the bullet and ordered a cargo basket on ebay. It isn't a Curt, but I suspect it is the same exact thing just straight form the wholesaler in China or wherever it is manufactured.

Here's the link in case anyone is interested, the price was right http://www.ebay.com/itm/310728464261

I got this one because it claims to be 43" long by 39" wide by 6.5" tall where the Curt specs show it as 41.5" long and 37" wide by 4" tall. (could be a case of interior capacity vs exterior overall dimensions..) We'll see when it comes in. The downside is that if it is larger I can't buy the Curt extension for it, it wont fit, so I may have to fab something out of 1 inch EMT if I decide on extending it.

Cannot wait until it comes in!
Squelchtone
Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 AM

It looks identical. I've been meaning to take some measurements for you but its been hectic between the holidays, kids, and massive OT at work. The OT doesn't even help out because I'm salaried (just because IT tends to work OT often, which is super lame). Anyway, I'll try and get some dimensions soon but it looks the same as mine.

One thing I've run into that I didn't think of. The rack, even with the mounts tightened down, can still slide from side to side on the crossbars without a whole lot of effort. I've been considering some sort of clamp or other option to help secure it laterally.

I hope the Chinese one is the same as that would be a great way to get the same thing much cheaper, and without the logo to boot!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by s1xty7
It looks identical. I've been meaning to take some measurements for you but its been hectic between the holidays, kids, and massive OT at work. The OT doesn't even help out because I'm salaried (just because IT tends to work OT often, which is super lame). Anyway, I'll try and get some dimensions soon but it looks the same as mine.

One thing I've run into that I didn't think of. The rack, even with the mounts tightened down, can still slide from side to side on the crossbars without a whole lot of effort. I've been considering some sort of clamp or other option to help secure it laterally.

I hope the Chinese one is the same as that would be a great way to get the same thing much cheaper, and without the logo to boot!
Hey thanks for the reply. I'm also IT and salaried, no OT, but there's been nights I have to remote in or stop by the office at odd hours.

To stop the sliding, could you tap a short pan head sheet metal screw right into the factory crossbars, just next to the rack bracket? Thanks for the tip on this and I'll post measurements and photos this weekend.

Squelchtone
Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 PM

I'd be okay with no OT, but if I don't do it, nobody else will. If nobody does it, then I certainly won't have to worry about OT at this job anymore.

You could tap a small hole and add a bolt or screw, but I'd be concerned about weakening the crossbar. Its not designed for a lot of weight to begin with, let alone if it has an additional hole in it. Of course, I tend to overbuild things.

I haven't gotten a full set of measurements, but I grabbed a quick height one (from the bottom of the side support to the top rail, not including mounts) with my Leatherman. I got approximately 6" from outside edge to outside edge. Based on that measurement, I would venture the Curt measurements are closer to internal distance and the cheaper version is listed with external dimensions.

If you shop around, you might be able to get the extension for reasonably cheap so it wouldn't be a big loss even if you couldn't return it. Also, I've seen at least 3 other vehicles where I live (30,000 people) with the same rack, so you might find one to compare against. If you check out Amazon, they sometimes list returns/open box items as sold by Amazon Warehouse. For instance, if you look up "curt 18117" on Amazon, you will see a price of $56, but there is a used one in "Like New" condition for $45 from Amazon Warehouse.

Good luck. I'll try and get better measurements up later.