Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Couple Questions

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I've owned a few Cherokee in the past but I just got 2 newer ones in a deal and a few things are different on them from my older ones. They are both 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 4.0. My first question is there a good site to use for getting OEM parts? The fan shroud on one of them is broken so about 2/3 is missing. I've seen some people recommend going with an electric fan. If so which one and do you just wire it up to always run or run it off the same temp switch as the other electric fan.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

I honestly wouldn't bother with an electric fan. The stock fan works fine if in good condition. Spend the money on a new rad.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:20 PM

Is the radiator crappy? I noticed at least it had a radiator cap. My last cherokee had the system that had no cap. I ended up buying a new radiator for it that had a cap and switched out the fill bottle.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by panch13
They are both 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 4.0.
Search and read up on the 0331 head crack. You will want to know about this before it happens to you. Don't freak out about it. Just let it convince you that proper maintenance of the cooling system in the 2000 is critical.

You might just want to plan for cooling system overhauls on both of them if they haven't been done recently.

My first question is there a good site to use for getting OEM parts?
Rock Auto usually stocks the OEM parts for a fraction of what the dealer will charge you.

The fan shroud on one of them is broken so about 2/3 is missing.
That's a junk yard item. Row52 is showing a '99 at the Portland South Pick-in-Pull that should have the same fan shroud, if it isn't broken or already gone. Buy used and save money. If that one doesn't have it, just search Row52 periodically until another one shows up.

You also have an LKQ store there. They sell used auto parts and may have it for a reasonable price.

Is the radiator crappy?
It's not bad. The plastic tanks are prone to cracking and leaking, but you can see it if it does.

I noticed at least it had a radiator cap. My last cherokee had the system that had no cap. I ended up buying a new radiator for it that had a cap and switched out the fill bottle.
The 2000 has the open system that overflows into the bottle and sucks it back in when it cools off. The system requires a radiator cap that is working properly to hold the proper pressure. If you do a cooling system overhaul, you will want to replace the radiator cap as part of it.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:28 PM

I've never even heard of Row52. I always went to the U pull it out in Boring Oregon since my wifes family lives out there. Thanks for the info. I think I'm just going to buy a new fan shroud since they are so cheap for the OEM one.

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Search and read up on the 0331 head crack. You will want to know about this before it happens to you. Don't freak out about it. Just let it convince you that proper maintenance of the cooling system in the 2000 is critical.

You might just want to plan for cooling system overhauls on both of them if they haven't been done recently.

Rock Auto usually stocks the OEM parts for a fraction of what the dealer will charge you.

That's a junk yard item. Row52 is showing a '99 at the Portland South Pick-in-Pull that should have the same fan shroud, if it isn't broken or already gone. Buy used and save money. If that one doesn't have it, just search Row52 periodically until another one shows up.

You also have an LKQ store there. They sell used auto parts and may have it for a reasonable price.

It's not bad. The plastic tanks are prone to cracking and leaking, but you can see it if it does.

The 2000 has the open system that overflows into the bottle and sucks it back in when it cools off. The system requires a radiator cap that is working properly to hold the proper pressure. If you do a cooling system overhaul, you will want to replace the radiator cap as part of it.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get most of my parts from advance auto. I order online to pick up at store. I use code trt30 to get 30% off on most stuff. Oils and performance parts are usually exempt but Ive saved plenty using that code. Usually I can get rockauto prices with no shipping charges. Great code for buying a battery too. Ive done that a few times.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Banned

I've never even heard of Row52.
Row52 is just a search engine for junk cars across a handful of self-service junk yard companies. It's pretty much worthless where I live, but whenever I'm headed over to Texas I'll search to see if there's anything interesting in the yards over there. Pick-n-Pull uses Row52 as their search engine on their own site.

It's actually pretty neat to be able to see a pic of the actual car. That certainly cuts down on the problem other yards have where they'll list a Cherokee, but when you show up it's actually a Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Yeah I hate when that happens. So the 0331 head crack thing looks like it's a pretty common thing for this year. I was reading that some of them are "TUPY" and they don't crack, or you are ok if you have one of these heads with TUPY on it. I'm definitely going to monitor them both. I saw that most threads recommended some alabama company and clearwater for a new head. Any idea what TUPY stands for?

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Row52 is just a search engine for junk cars across a handful of self-service junk yard companies. It's pretty much worthless where I live, but whenever I'm headed over to Texas I'll search to see if there's anything interesting in the yards over there. Pick-n-Pull uses Row52 as their search engine on their own site.

It's actually pretty neat to be able to see a pic of the actual car. That certainly cuts down on the problem other yards have where they'll list a Cherokee, but when you show up it's actually a Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Yeah I hate when that happens. So the 0331 head crack thing looks like it's a pretty common thing for this year. I was reading that some of them are "TUPY" and they don't crack, or you are ok if you have one of these heads with TUPY on it. I'm definitely going to monitor them both. I saw that most threads recommended some alabama company and clearwater for a new head. Any idea what TUPY stands for?
I don't think it actually stands for anything. TUPY is the name of a Brazilian company that made the replacement 0331 heads without the casting flaw of the original 0331 heads. The 2000 XJs did not come with the TUPY heads. If you have one, it's because it has been replaced.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 PM

Year: '98

What years had these heads?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6