Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coil spacers and rear shackles - thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Coil spacers and rear shackles - thoughts

So here's my situation. 2000 xj with 195k miles. About a year ago I bought a disaster TJ. Ended up losing money selling and to make me feel better, switched wheels/ tires. Same size wheels, must be bigger tires. They rub in front when in reverse and turned and the back when bottoming out grinds. Probably getting a boat, so want a little room in between.

So, was thinking of getting a 1 in lift in coil spacers and rear shackles. Probably the $80-100 sets in eBay. Anyone have experience with those and how long of in install it could be. With the TJ, the rear shock bolts snapped and I could not get out. So now I am afraid after that even though mine has nowhere near the rust it had.

Also, would a 1 in lift be enough possibly and not require any other changes. Don't want to end up spending $700 on a $1500 vehicle.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JBSurfs
So here's my situation. 2000 xj with 195k miles. About a year ago I bought a disaster TJ. Ended up losing money selling and to make me feel better, switched wheels/ tires. Same size wheels, must be bigger tires. They rub in front when in reverse and turned and the back when bottoming out grinds. Probably getting a boat, so want a little room in between.

So, was thinking of getting a 1 in lift in coil spacers and rear shackles. Probably the $80-100 sets in eBay. Anyone have experience with those and how long of in install it could be. With the TJ, the rear shock bolts snapped and I could not get out. So now I am afraid after that even though mine has nowhere near the rust it had.

Also, would a 1 in lift be enough possibly and not require any other changes. Don't want to end up spending $700 on a $1500 vehicle.
Just get some upcountry leaf springs. They are 1 inch over stock. Run spacers if you want. No other changes needed.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBSurfs

Not to spend your money as I know what you mean when getting a deal on something. Don't want to make it not a deal after dumping money in it. I would say take a good look at the springs and components. 17 years of use takes its toll. If you are towing anything you want it in good shape. A full kit can be a good thing or budget boost and new shocks.
In regards to install, all depends on vehicle. Seized bolts turn any project into a nightmare. I would start soaking the shackle and shock bolts ahead of time. I would think a couple hours should be enough to get your project done.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Need to know more about your XJ and the tire size to help you also the wheel size and back spacing on them.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be prepared for bolts snapping off and rust and dirt in every crevice of your body when working under the car. I had to replace shock absorbers as well with a about 2-3 inch lift on the rear so bear that in mind if you go higher.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

My 01 just hit 200k. Springs are saggy as ****. The front is an inch and a half lower than it should be and the rear springs are nearly bent backward. Replace your springs first. Soak every Bolt with PB or mystery oil. If you put shackles in the rear and your leaf springs are already shot then it'll just damage them more.

A pair of coils aren't really very expensive. And leaf springs are about $100 per side, plus a few bucks more for bolts. Probably about $300-350 tops for two coils and two leaf packs and some hardware.