Child and Infant Seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Child and Infant Seat

We just bought a ’98 Jeep Cherokee over the weekend. Naturally, I’m here looking at solutions to problems that inevitably come up. Our first problem is a deal breaker. Without a solution, the Jeep is history! We have two boys. One two year old and a one month old. The car seats are causing somewhat of a problem. The two year old seat fits just fine. The infant rear facing seat fits OK, but the seat in front of it (mamma’s) has to be pushed a bit too far forward for her comfort. Does anyone have suggestions to a brand of infant rear facing carseat that works in a Cherokee? Thanks – we’d really like to keep the Jeep, but “If mamma aint happy, aint no one happy!”
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Put the infant seat in the center of the back seat, there should be a little more room that way. Sorry, the only thing I can think of, most infant seats are all about the same size.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or get a shorter wife. Just kidding, the rearward facing infant seat in the center is the only option I can think of as well. Not sure how well it will work with the toddler seat right beside it as far as space is concerned.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

here i am stressing off what car seat to get for my 1 year old daughter (whether if it's graco or britax). while here you are stressing off of trying to fit 2 baby car seats in the back of an XJ. good luck bro - i feel for you! =0)

i've had the preg preggo primo viggio & the graco snug ride 35 for my daughter when she was born. between the 2, the graco snug ride seemed a little smaller. you should check out a local baby store so that you can get a visual on the difference in size. also look at the First Years Urban Life infant seat.

Last edited by jiffy; 07-26-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I have an infant and a 5 year old. The infant seat sits best in the middle. Thats the best fit for it. The 5 year of course gets to sit forward so she sits on the side. Its really the only solution. I never realized until I had to put the baby seat in how little room is in the rear. Most all baby seats are the same so the middle is the best option.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

yup, even those booster seats don't fit well. we bought one because of the new texas law but after one day through it in the back. you can't use the seat belts if you have a booster in the back because it covers the receiver and i would rather have the seat belt then the booster in a wreck
Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. The infant seat in the middle doesn't work as it is too wide. We should be able to deal with seat behind the passenger seat.

Has anyone ever tried attaching the latch system to the seat belt attachment points on the frame? I experimented last night and it seamed to work. My logic is that it is no different than a seat belt attaching and it sure make the seat a better fit. Any thoughts?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Be careful! If something was to happen (my fingers are crossed that nothing happens), the officials may not like a modified child seat teather, and it could bite you in the a$$.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
crc

HarborJeep - My advice is to stick with the seatbelts. Why does it fit better with the latch attached to the seat belt points?

If it is possible, find a store that will let you try the display models in your Jeep. If it is installed properly, the infant carrier behind the passenger seat should be livable for a few months before you go rear facing with a convertible.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Default Latch

The latch system attached to the seat belt attachment points works better because I'm able to tighten as tight as possible. With the normal seat belt position, the female belt comes up too high and doesn't tighten as much as I'd like. I've tried twisting it to shorten it but no luck!

Other than "official" not liking my method (I understand this), can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work. In my thinking it is no different than how the seat belts attach. Although, my thinking has been wrong once or twice before! I can be convinced to switch to the conventional method.

Thanks for the help and advice. I'm finding that Jeep owner are truly passionate about their Jeeps!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
crc

HarborJeep, I understand your logic (and probably frustration at this point). However, just from a liability stand point, if something terrible should ever happen and the seat is not installed according to the manufacturers instructions, they will take no responsibilty if the seat fails.

What brand of seat is it? The infant carrier base just might not be tall enough even with the female buckle twisted down. Is the Jeep your main vehicle? If the carrier is only in the Jeep occasionaly then you could use the seatbelt directly on the carrier if the seat has the ability. This usually takes care of the female buckle being too long issue.

If there is someone who is a certified installer in your area, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with them because they can see what you are working with and a good installer will point you in the right direction.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 AM

Default compromise

I'm stubborn, I know! How about using both - using my modified latch system and the standard seat belt system. The modified latch system will appease my tightness issue and the seat belt system should appease the "officials." I can't see anything wrong with using two systems! Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 AM
crc

Yeah I have fielded the "use both" question before. For mostly the same reasons you should only use one or the other. Again, I would try to find a certified installer in your area. You may be tight enough with the seatbelts. Those infant carriers are meant to move a little bit. As long as it is not side to side.