XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Cherostand

Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cherostand

I was out at my property this weekend re-doing the porch and roof over the porch at my cabin (Sure does get warm here in Texas) and installing a hot water heater, drinking beer, shooting clays and tannerite, and wheeling around.

Anyway, hunting season is right around the corner and there's a big field that has grown up something awful and there's tons of stuff that runs through it, but unless you're above the trails or actually on them, you can't see anything. Before I got the XJ I was thinking tripod since there aren't many trees to climb with a good vantage point nearby, but now I'm thinking XJ...

Introducing the Cherostand - A piece of plywood with some kind of padding about the length and width of the Cherokee roof, attaches to the luggage rack, and has a detachable swivel chair, and maybe some kind of railing up there to hang some burlap or whatever, maybe a gun rack, probably space for a small cooler and toaster oven... Man.. that's fancy. Take the chair off and pass out while looking up at the star-lit sky. Don't get no better 'n that.

Main obstacle is getting a good cross bar fastener that will prevent sliding from left to right. Any recommendations on that?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:16 PM

Year: 1992

I have a few ideas rolling around in my head but I'm gonna need a few pictures or a diagram to really be able to bring this in nice and tight.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

1. The roof of a Cherokee is only slightly reinforced paper thin sheet metal, I think the "factory rating" may be as much as 150 lbs.
2. In most areas it is illegal to hunt from a "motor driven conveyance".
3. Natural cover makes the best camouflage.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 PM

Year: 1992

I have several rolls of Gorilla tape on standby for the initial trial run of the prototype. Burlap and roofing tar can be used for larger areas which provide both a water proof barrier and some sound proofing for the riding occupants during the hunt. On standby until further notice and awaiting updates.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
1. The roof of a Cherokee is only slightly reinforced paper thin sheet metal, I think the "factory rating" may be as much as 150 lbs.
2. In most areas it is illegal to hunt from a "motor driven conveyance".
3. Natural cover makes the best camouflage.

1.) I think it'll hold, especially since the weight will be distributed around the cargo rails.
2.) In Texas it's fine to hunt game animals except migratory birds from a vehicle on private property.
3.) Indeed. 6-10' of extremely dense weeds, yaupon, and pine saplings do a wonderful job of concealing the XJ. I'm mostly in it for the hogs anyway, and they don't see all that well.

@jojohoy, I'll get you some.