Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cherokee Regular Maintenance - Help

Hello,

I recently picked up my first Cherokee - 1999. Since I bought it from a private seller, I took it in to have it looked at and serviced. New tires:alignment, belts, oil change, fluid checks, muffler etc. Probably spent too much truth be told, but its low miles and I hope to keep it for a long time. In any event, my question is this: I want to take care of this thing properly. Can someone please help me find a list of the regular maintenance I should be doing on it to keep it running at top condition? I know the basics of regular oil changes and maybe tire rotation/alignment when it starts to go, but on top of that what else should I be doing and at what intervals? I'm not mechanically inclined and figured its time I learn. Since its better to fix things before they break I am hoping to be as proactive as possible.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

How many miles does it have?

You could/should start replacing all the fluids if its over 100k. Coolant, trans, tcase, differentials. Check out the brake system. Grease any fittings that it has. Run some fuel system cleaner through it. Tune up. Air filter. The list goes on. Lol
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanks. It's only got around 50k. Apparently it had been sitting for a long time - per inspection records it was driven less than a thousand miles a year for the past several years (another reason I replaced the tires - had some flat spots where sitting and was giving me a death wobble at 60mph - alignment and new tires got rid of it) and the mechanic told me that someof the belts, etc was just really old and suggested either replacing/servicing it now or soon, an so I just said to do it now. I'm trying to keep an eye on stuff now since I just dumped some cash into it - trying to hold off on doing that again as long as possible heh.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

50k? That's still new. Lol. Seriously not even broken in yet. Keep maintenance up and you have that drivetrain for another 300k.

If you get a Haynes (or other I believe manual) it should have factory suggested maintenance schedule in it. Good things to go by.

A good idea, if its not rusted yet, clean the underside and use some undercoating, or POR-15 stuff to keep it from happening. Same with the paintjob. Get it nice and clean and coat it with wax. Keep it nice.

Any plans for a lift? Lol
Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the tips man, I will look to get a copy of those manuals too. Rust wise it's in good shape - few dings and scratches here and there, but good rust wise.

Maybe some plans for a lift sometime down the road hehe once the funds are replenished. Right now it's 100% stock. Speaking of which - the trunk had this canopy type holder going over where you put stuff - right near the spare tire and hovering over the storage area. Any idea what that is for? I assume it's for holding stuff, just seems really in the way heh. Looks like you would just unhook it - but I left it there for now (just put a protective mat under it).
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

The cargo cover? Like a bar that has a roll out piece of vinyl? Keep it! Hard to find those. I wish I had one for covering up valuables. Wanna sell it?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

There is a book in the glovebox that outlines the needed services at a specific amount of mileage, it's called the owners manual.