Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Certs vs. Degree

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Certs vs. Degree

HI I was looking into getting a auto tech degree or certifications... Im leaning towards certs. Anyone have any insight they can lend?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I work in IT, not the auto field, but in my experience: cert+degree+experience > Cert+experience > degree+experience > experience > Cert + degree (and no experience) > Cert (no experience) > degree (no experience) > nothing at all.

Since in IT, its your most recent knowledge, and experience gives you the strongest knowledge, and a certs are pretty fluid and up to date compared to colleges, and colleges can be pretty behind the times when it comes to your experience. ( I had an intern onetime that was a CIS major, couldn't dell me the difference between a network card and a video card...)

I have a feeling that the same applies to the auto field. They want somebody with experience, or at least very recent knowledge.

Your best bet is to go look at some job postings and see what they are requiring for the job you want.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee

Experience is your best friend. I went to college but dropped out when I had a job offer in a tangent field that was willing to train and certify me while I worked for them. I dont regret this in the least as I am now 2 years in and certified in multiple programs as well as have some experience. I would say find someone in your field that will take you under their wing and train you, help you get certified, then help you get the experience you need. As aroundincircles said, colleges are behind. Certifications must be renewed and and up to date. Just my tow pennies worth (less due to inflation lol)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

In the auto field, chances are you will have the best luck with having more hands on experience rather then going to school for it. Say I had 2 people walk in the door looking to get hired. One has a degree from UTI and the other has 5 years of actual experience wrenching on things. The guy with more hands on experience will get hired every time. With my business, it is more of a specialized place so even if you go to school, we will still need to train you. But I find it easier to start off with someone who has worked on cars compared to someone who is book smart about them.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm with them and id go diesel over gas because new cars are a nightmare to work on now.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
In the auto field, chances are you will have the best luck with having more hands on experience rather then going to school for it. Say I had 2 people walk in the door looking to get hired. One has a degree from UTI and the other has 5 years of actual experience wrenching on things. The guy with more hands on experience will get hired every time. With my business, it is more of a specialized place so even if you go to school, we will still need to train you. But I find it easier to start off with someone who has worked on cars compared to someone who is book smart about them.
yep hand them college book smart types a screwdriver and....

umm ummm ummmm

i should know, I was one of them at one point!
Old 05-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I registered for the certs. Thus is for a side gig out of my garage in the future... I will mainly be learning on family vehicles.

Last edited by Rexall; 05-13-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 05-13-2017, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Rexall
Thanks for the input gus. I registered for the certs. Thus is for a side gig out of my garage in the future... I will mainly be learning on family vehicles.
don't call me Gus.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

IT <> automotive.

Certs. Auto shops are not going to be impressed by a degree.