Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can i return a bad TPS from autozone without the box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default Can i return a bad TPS from autozone without the box?

Iike title says...Can i return a bad TPS from autozone without the box? I bought it two weeks ago and the check engine light came up again for the same issue...a bad TPS...But i threw out the box when I first bought it. I still have the receipt tho. Anyone ever experience this? I really don't feel like having to spend on another TpS. I
Old 01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Call and ask them
Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Why are you asking us, when Autozone publishes their return policy right on their site?

http://www.autozoneinc.com/terms/return_policy.html

That said, I'd try it anyway. If they won't take it, buy a new one, put the old one in the new box, and then you have a new TPS and "original packaging" to return the defective one.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:20 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Don't be an ****** and do the above. Return it as defective and ask for a new part. You're within the warranty period.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

There's no way people are supposed to keep up with the box for a lifetime warranty item.

They'll return it and replace it with the new part.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emptypockets
Don't be an ****** and do the above. Return it as defective and ask for a new part. You're within the warranty period.
Did you actually read the return policy linked above? Here it is, in case you were too lazy to click the link:

To return a product to an AutoZone store, simply take the product, in its original packaging and/or box, and your receipt to the store of your choice.
Did you actually read my post? In case you missed it, I said that he should try to return it to the store as it is, and if they wouldn't take it because of their idiotic "original packaging" policy, THEN he should swap the package. I don't see how it would make someone a ****** (not sure what's under those asterisks, but it must be bad) to circumvent a technicality designed to allow Autozone to sidestep its customer return policy if the customer service person decides to be a douche.

If you still think that makes me a ******, then you can just *** ****** *** * ** ***** * * ******* * * * and ****.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Did you actually read the return policy linked above? Here it is, in case you were too lazy to click the link:

Did you actually read my post? In case you missed it, I said that he should try to return it to the store as it is, and if they wouldn't take it because of their idiotic "original packaging" policy, THEN he should swap the package. I don't see how it would make someone a ****** (not sure what's under those asterisks, but it must be bad) to circumvent a technicality designed to allow Autozone to sidestep its customer return policy if the customer service person decides to be a douche.

If you still think that makes me a ******, then you can just *** ****** *** * ** ***** * * ******* * * * and ****.
Angry much?

He's not returning the part, it would be considered defective and a warranty issue. Return would be I don't want this part anymore, give me my cash back.

Edit:
We do this all the time at my work and the parts house simply puts the defective part in the replacement parts box. What you suggested is a pita for whoever gets the defective part after it goes back on the shelf as a "return".

Last edited by emptypockets; 01-02-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I actually went in and they gave me a new TPS. They kept the box tho....I was just a lil worried they would make a big fuzz about exchanging it.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

Angry much?
No, I'm not angry at all. I just thought your post was really stupid.

What you suggested is a pita for whoever gets the defective part after it goes back on the shelf as a "return".
Not what I suggested, so just more stupid from you. Why don't you try lightening up?

Last edited by extrashaky; 01-02-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM

No, I'm not angry at all. I just thought your post was really stupid.

Mmkay

Not what I suggested, so just more stupid from you. Why don't you try lightening up?

Are you sure about that?

If they won't take it, buy a new one, put the old one in the new box, and then you have a new TPS and "original packaging" to return the defective one.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Are you sure about that?
Yes. Are you trying to be a *****, or does it just come naturally?

Nowhere did I say that he should try to pass off a defective product as a good return. I just said that IF they gave him a problem about returning said defective product because he didn't have the box, he could buy the replacement and use that box to return the defective product. They get the defective product in the box to return to the manufacturer, and he gets the part he needs. Problem solved.

In fact, they took the damned thing back, so this whole conversation is pointless. The unnecessary drama around you must drive everyone crazy.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Yes. Are you trying to be a *****, or does it just come naturally?

Nowhere did I say that he should try to pass off a defective product as a good return. I just said that IF they gave him a problem about returning said defective product because he didn't have the box, he could buy the replacement and use that box to return the defective product. They get the defective product in the box to return to the manufacturer, and he gets the part he needs. Problem solved.

In fact, they took the damned thing back, so this whole conversation is pointless. The unnecessary drama around you must drive everyone crazy.
Lol, you obviously don't know me. Somewhere you took offense to something I said, where none was meant. I can't help it that you want to read more into.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You know why they are lifetime parts?Because you spend a lifetime replacing them left and right.If i have to have it today i go to napa if i can wait i order it off rockauto.And rockauto is nice on returns i got the wrong ball joint in the box,They sent me another one shipped out next day and never asked me to ship back the wrong part.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Only parts I buy online are sensors and that is from a Jeep parts supply all OEM parts.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by BlvdKreeper
Iike title says...Can i return a bad TPS from autozone without the box? I bought it two weeks ago and the check engine light came up again for the same issue...a bad TPS...But i threw out the box when I first bought it. I still have the receipt tho. Anyone ever experience this? I really don't feel like having to spend on another TpS. I
There is no code that I know of that indicates specifically a "bad TPS", the problem is more than likely with the circuit.