Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

can I overtighten exhaust manifold bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999 Sport Road Rash Monstaliner
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Default can I overtighten exhaust manifold bolts?

Is it possible to overtighten exhaust manifold bolts? A family buddy came over and helped me install this APN manifold (actually a header, really) but we didn't have a torque wrench, nor do I think we could have reached a few of the bolts with one if we had. So we just hulk tightened the suckers from the center out. Certainly that is more pressure than the recommended torque settings but can it hurt anything?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: I6

....YES... you can and probably did overtighten them.. When it gets hot it can crack if overtighten to much. Get a torque wrench!! Like ten bucks at HF dude!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 AM

i should add that the APN header has a thicker flange than the manifold at certain points so if I tighten some bolts the exhaust will be tighter than the intake. Does this make sense?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You can't really get a torque wrench on the bolts anyway. I think the book calls for 24 ft lbs on all the bolts. The two nuts I don't remember. I just put about 20 ft lbs on them and then another 1/8 of a turn. They don't need hulk tightened down. Doing that can mess up the block.

If you guys were hanging or putting all your weight on the wrenches then you should go back and redo all the bolts.

Torque them down correctly cold, drive it for a week, then recheck torque because they may loosen. Mine did not.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 04-01-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 AM

I think I remember what you mean.. haha.. As long as you were not grabbing the jack handle for a breaker bar and you just used the socket ,I think you should be alright.. I installed an APN on my XJ after cracking the exhaust manifold but was able to reach all the bolts but one with socket elbows to use the torque wrench. The last bolt I just felt how hard it was to slightly turn one I had already torqued and then tried to replicate it.

To counter the problem I think your talking about... I took out all the exhaust and intake bolts and started fresh torquing them all to the same spec.

As far as hurting anything? You could cause cracks in the intake/exhaust manifold under high temps if it is THAT tight..
Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mwilliams0311
I think I remember what you mean.. haha.. As long as you were not grabbing the jack handle for a breaker bar and you just used the socket ,I think you should be alright.. I installed an APN on my XJ after cracking the exhaust manifold but was able to reach all the bolts but one with socket elbows to use the torque wrench. The last bolt I just felt how hard it was to slightly turn one I had already torqued and then tried to replicate it.

To counter the problem I think your talking about... I took out all the exhaust and intake bolts and started fresh torquing them all to the same spec.

As far as hurting anything? You could cause cracks in the intake/exhaust manifold under high temps if it is THAT tight..
We used no breaker bars, but we did put some force on them. I just dont see how you got a torque wrench to some of them. I'm kinda worried now :X
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
You can't really get a torque wrench on the bolts anyway. I think the book calls for 24 ft lbs on all the bolts. The two nuts I don't remember. I just put about 20 ft lbs on them and then another 1/8 of a turn. They don't need hulk tightened down. Doing that can mess up the block.

If you guys were hanging or putting all your weight on the wrenches then you should go back and redo all the bolts.

Torque them down correctly cold, drive it for a week, then recheck torque because they may loosen. Mine did not.
Better safe than sorry man.. I know it is a PIA though.. It would be even worse if you end up having to buy another one though!!

As far as getting to them with a torque wrench.. I think I used like 2-3 different elbows and extensions and if was not for the cold beverages, probably would have said screw it, but was able to torque all but that one. Got a couple from under the Jeep as well..
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94

Do it right or do it twice...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Your lucky they didn't break. Not fun
Old 04-01-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by SHELBYGT NSM
Your lucky they didn't break. Not fun
nooooo. I was never worried about doing that. We only got them small socket wrench tight, and on the ones where we couldn't get even a socket just closed end wrench hand tight.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by mwilliams0311

Better safe than sorry man.. I know it is a PIA though.. It would be even worse if you end up having to buy another one though!!

As far as getting to them with a torque wrench.. I think I used like 2-3 different elbows and extensions and if was not for the cold beverages, probably would have said screw it, but was able to torque all but that one. Got a couple from under the Jeep as well..
The second you add an elbow to a torque wrench, it no longer works properly.

You can add an extension as long as its still at a 90 degree angle but elbows that change length make the wrenches readings inaccurate. For that matter, a long extension will screw the reading unless you hold it at a perfect 90 degree angle, tilt it and your readings are off.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by terzdesign
nooooo. I was never worried about doing that. We only got them small socket wrench tight, and on the ones where we couldn't get even a socket just closed end wrench hand tight.
You're fine as long as you used a short wrench or ratchet and got them "forearm" tight.

I've never used a torque wrench on them in 27 years, never broke a bolt or stud, and they never backed off.............
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by terzdesign
Is it possible to overtighten exhaust manifold bolts? A family buddy came over and helped me install this APN manifold (actually a header, really) but we didn't have a torque wrench, nor do I think we could have reached a few of the bolts with one if we had. So we just hulk tightened the suckers from the center out. Certainly that is more pressure than the recommended torque settings but can it hurt anything?
Yes - which will cause uneven gasket compression, screw seizure (in this case,) and probably warped flanges (due to grossly uneven clamping force.)

I wouldn't get a $10 HF special - good measuring tools are worth spending at least a little money on. (When I was taking Auto Tech courses to make what I know official, we had access to a calibrator. Short form? My Craftsman clickers were just as accurate as MAC and Snap-On clickers, and the cheaper stuff you may as well use a "turn and pray" method.)

If it's a measuring tool with moving parts, spend some money to get a good one.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

if nothing broke I'm sure you're fine. it's not an AL head so you prob couldn't do enough damage with a 3/8 ratchet and limited working space to fret over.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

You guys put any locktite on them? Like the blue?

Quick Reply: can I overtighten exhaust manifold bolts?