XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

buying a used Jeep w/ 190k on it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default buying a used Jeep w/ 190k on it...

I am going to be looking at a couple of used Jeep cherokees in the next few days that range from 190k miles to 210k miles.

Is there anything that normally needs to be replaced on high mileage cherokees? I.E. Radiators? Alternators? Struts? roters? transmission?

I know a bit about engines and can do minor repairs, but am bringing a friend with me to check them out that knows quite a bit on repairing vehicles. Any guidance on what I need him to check out?

I know the straight 6 engine will last forever if maintained, I am just not sure if there are any "normal" wear and tear items that at 200k may not have been done by the owner that I will have to do. One of the vehicles is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee w/ 190k miles I-6 cyl engine and asking $2195 which seems really cheap. I imagine most are scared away with so many miles, I dont mind as long as I know what worst case cost of repairs might be.

Another is a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherooke 4x4 Larado with 201k miles v-8 engine for $1500 as well. (Current owner has removed the front drive shaft
so it only runs on 2 wheel drive now, but states that can be reversed )

Can someone give me things to check ( via my mechanic friend) and what costs in near future any likely repairs might be I would appreciate it. I have about $4500 towards a used vehicle and if I can get it under 2k even better and hold the rest in case of future repairs.

thanks,
JP

Last edited by jptexas; 11-01-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Definitely get the XJ (cherokee) with the 4,0 I6. The 5,2/5,9 V8 were not nearly as resilient of an engine and a lot more likely to develop problems, especially with 201k miles.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

serch "death wobble" and check for the parts that are mentioned in those threads.
rust in the floor
holes in the roof
electrical problems
most other things are pretty tough
If I had the money your talkin about to buy a jeep, specificly a cherokee, I would get the xj and hope to spend 2 to around 3 for something in good shape and everything working. Then spend the rest on general maintenance and things that you would expect to need to have fixed with the amount of miles that the jeep has on it. then have enough to go on a trip for a month. If your gona get the grand cherokee I would avoid the v8 and get the inline 6 because it has plenty of power and is a more reliable motor.
good luck buying what ever you decide.