Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying my first XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Buying my first XJ

Hi all. I am buying my first XJ and I could use some guidance to make sure I don't dig myself into a whole. The purpose for buying an XJ is that my family needs a car that can handle the winter and outdoorsy type trips. My wife will be the main user for winter commuting so I need something that wont put her on the side of the road.

The XJ I am looking at is a 1996 Cherokee Sport with only 98k miles. I will see it in person tomorrow but the seller says there is no body damage or rust what so ever. He also claims to have taken great care of the car and that there are 0 mechanical issues (I have to go on his word for now). The price is listed at $4000 but I plan to say firm at $3500. Is this a fair price for a well kept low mileage XJ? Anything I should look out for when I see the car? If i see no issues what are common things at this time that I will need to worry about?

Thank you all for the help, I hope to be back in the Jeep family soon (used to own a JK)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Look for rust around the rockers, oil leaks (not a deal breaker), make sure the transfer case works (don't be surprised of it's hard to shift). Look for strange wiring under the hood and dash that can lead to problems. Musty smells can mean there is a water leak in the cabin that will lead to rust. Look at the cooling system for signs of maintenance, or lack of. Make sure the tires are worn evenly and match. A super clean engine bay might look nice, but can be an attempt to hide something. Don't get suckered by a new stereo, keep it off while test driving so you can hear any weird noises. Make sure everything works the way it should. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Look for rust around the rockers, oil leaks (not a deal breaker), make sure the transfer case works (don't be surprised of it's hard to shift). Look for strange wiring under the hood and dash that can lead to problems. Musty smells can mean there is a water leak in the cabin that will lead to rust. Look at the cooling system for signs of maintenance, or lack of. Make sure the tires are worn evenly and match. A super clean engine bay might look nice, but can be an attempt to hide something. Don't get suckered by a new stereo, keep it off while test driving so you can hear any weird noises. Make sure everything works the way it should. Good luck.
Thanks a lot. I will make sure to look at all of that.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If u have one, bring a code scanner to see if theres any codes
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6 (The best engine ever made)

All I can say is check for...
Rust
Leaks
Signs of an accident
Oil
Tranny fluid
Valve cover oil leaks (just might need a new gasket)
Reverse lights
Transfer case
Engine knock
Electric fan
Hard shifting (not common on xj's, aw4 tranny is bulletproof like the 4.0.
Frame rails(rust)
Coolant (milky/rust)
Coolant hoses
Plug wires
Listen for creaks/cracking noises from rear end
(Leaf spring mounts) you would know if there rotted, it's scary)
And I've got more but my thumbs hurt, I'm typing on a phone lol
Thanks, let me know if you've got any questions.
Ps, don't forget
Rust
Rust
Rust
It can make or break your xj.
If it's not rusty, future proof it! We need to keep these xjs alive because they are gonna be gone one day! Too many stupid kids beating on them,
And that god darn cash for clunkers...
And I'm 16 but not one of them kids who cuts fenders and beats the hell out of his xj...
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I will be buying it tomorrow (My bank was refusing to let me take more than 2k out of the ATM). The car had 0 rust, no strange engine noise when driving, and great oil. I am not sure how to test an auto transmission but I took it to 65 mph and it was smooth sailing so I assume thats good. The alignment seemed to be off pretty badly and there was a lot of noise (the seller said the back tires wore out in bad places because of the alignment. There were also no signs of leaks anywhere but I didn't get a chance to look to closely for them.

For the alignment, is that any sign of something else wrong that maybe hes hiding? or does it make sense for a car this old to not have a perfect alignment? Also the steering seemed a little lose but I may just be used to the feeling of driving 2 hours in a 2013 sports car that has crisp steering.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by phloozy
Thanks for all the advice! I will be buying it tomorrow (My bank was refusing to let me take more than 2k out of the ATM). The car had 0 rust, no strange engine noise when driving, and great oil. I am not sure how to test an auto transmission but I took it to 65 mph and it was smooth sailing so I assume thats good. The alignment seemed to be off pretty badly and there was a lot of noise (the seller said the back tires wore out in bad places because of the alignment. There were also no signs of leaks anywhere but I didn't get a chance to look to closely for them.

For the alignment, is that any sign of something else wrong that maybe hes hiding? or does it make sense for a car this old to not have a perfect alignment? Also the steering seemed a little lose but I may just be used to the feeling of driving 2 hours in a 2013 sports car that has crisp steering.
It may need tie-rod ends, sway-bar bushings/end-links, and/or ball joints, or it could just need a trip to the alignment shop (especially if the previous owner replaced any of the listed items themselves without getting it aligned afterwards). If it hasn't been to an alignment shop since it left the factory it would be expected to be off, a vehicle really should be aligned at least when new tires are put on and if any suspension or steering component which could affect the alignment is replaced.

Tie-rod ends, bushings, and ball-joints are not a big deal and are normal maintenance items but figure the cost of replacements into the price. Make sure to check for any damaged suspension components or a damaged frame as these are much more serious issues (especially frame damage).

Loose steering could be a sign of worn tie-rod ends but the XJ uses the "old-style" recirculating-ball steering (still used on most full-sized pickups) which is naturally less-precise and has a larger "dead-spot" than the rack and pinion steering used in most modern cars and SUVs and will feel somewhat "loose" even in perfect condition.

Last edited by dmill89; 11-03-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by dmill89
It may need tie-rod ends, sway-bar bushings/end-links, and/or ball joints, or it could just need a trip to the alignment shop (especially if the previous owner replaced any of the listed items themselves without getting it aligned afterwards). If it hasn't been to an alignment shop since it left the factory it would be expected to be off, a vehicle really should be aligned at least when new tires are put on and if any suspension or steering component which could affect the alignment is replaced.

Tie-rod ends, bushings, and ball-joints are not a big deal and are normal maintenance items but figure the cost of replacements into the price. Make sure to check for any damaged suspension components or a damaged frame as these are much more serious issues (especially frame damage).

Loose steering could be a sign of worn tie-rod ends but the XJ uses the "old-style" recirculating-ball steering (still used on most full-sized pickups) which is naturally less-precise and has a larger "dead-spot" than the rack and pinion steering used in most modern cars and SUVs and will feel somewhat "loose" even in perfect condition.
Thanks, the first thing I planned on doing was head to an alignment shop and also get new rear tires. If something still feels off I will look into the other possibilities you suggested.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

If I drive my wife's car and then jump into my ZJ, it feels pretty goofy and loose until I get used to it again. Good luck with your purchase and get ready for the stupid grin you'll have on your face every time you drive your XJ.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM

If I drive my wife's car and then jump into my ZJ, it feels pretty goofy and loose until I get used to it again. Good luck with your purchase and get ready for the stupid grin you'll have on your face every time you drive your XJ.
Thanks! Can't wait to pick it up today. I will try and post some pictures and I am sure you will see me around the community (I tend to live on forums).
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM

Just got it home! Took the 2 hour trip with 0 issues, was a great ride and I am super excited about this car. One thing I did notice was that at around 60 mph the ride got pretty bumpy but if I went faster or slower it smoothed out. I tried looking it up quickly and saw something about tire resonance speed? Also the car is out of alignment so that may also be it. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Alignment and tire balance will make a huge difference. Oh, it's not a car. It's a Jeep.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Alignment and tire balance will make a huge difference. Oh, it's not a car. It's a Jeep.
Haha I'll make sure to remember that. I may have to get a new set of rear tires because of uneven wear. Hopefully this plus balance/alignment solves all the problems. Oh and I smiled the whole way home even with the loud road noise.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dmill89

Just went to get aligned and was told the car needed a new front passenger U joint and a new pitman arm. that plus an alignment is going to cost $500... Add to that he said their was a fair amount of rush on the underside that I must have missed. Very sad day.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Default New XJ OWNER

I still think you got a pretty good deal. What state are you in ???
Could be surface rust -- you will have to get under it with dirty clothes and a face shield/glasses and really look. Take an old screwdriver and just poke around a little. Front end stuff, U-joint, etc are common issues -- do not sweat that stuff.
I found a completely rust free CALIF XJ with low miles and had to throw out $1,000 within the first couple months (AC issues, master window control, vac line) --- now it has been trouble free.

Good luck, Randy

Quick Reply: Buying my first XJ