Buying a Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder
Default Buying a Cherokee

I'm on the hunt for a 4x4 Cherokee here in Houston. What's acceptable mileage on a used Cherokee for a daily driver and twice a year off-road use? I know they wear out eventually and I want to get several good years of use out of it.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Haha. 500-4500 depending... I mean, if it's totally ****ed, then it's probably not worth much, but a clean, low mileage (~150k) XJ with no mechanical issues can be 2-3k real easy.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Good things to check, in my jeep experience: (Besides the obvious things like leaking fluids, popping, clunking or grinding noises, rust, tire wear, etc...)
-all electronics! Check every switch, *** or whatever that controls and electronic function. And make sure to test all the door switches from each door as well. Make sure to include things like rear wiper, 4 ways...
-when driving it: my approach is to drive it as hard as I would on any given day. Maybe the day involves smashing the gas and breaks a couple times as well as some quick-steering evasive maneuvers point is to put it thru it's paces; no sense driving it like granny to church...
-4wd: if my jeep was a 2wd with its current open diff. I probably would not want it.. Sad to say, but kinda true. What I mean is that the 4wd is a pretty important part and as I mentioned, making sure to put it thru it's paces is ok with me.
-general mechanical maintenance/condition: are the battery terminals clean and solid? Oil around seals? Head gasket area? Check fluid resivoits for full, clean liquids. Unplug spark plugs and check for corrosion or oil build up. What about from underneath- can you see leaks, damage or anything out of place with engine, oil pan, etc?
-while your underneath: look over the steering and driveline components. Have a buddy turn thre steering wheel back and forth a bit as you watch the steering components. Look for things like extra play or cracks in any bushings, tre's, etc...
If I think of more ill throw it in..