Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 HO
Default Bumper templates?

Does anyone know where i can get some bumper templates?
I want to make a front bumper but dont think i have the creative mind to think it up...
I am thinking of buying a front bumper with the pre runners on it, but thats pretty spendy and i guess i can make one for cheaper... Just dont think i can make the templates in my head.
Same with a rear bumper w/ tire swing. I wish i had auto cad.

Does anyone have bumper templates? If so PM or post here.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 XJ

This is the one I like, I found a template online for one that was close to this. I will try to find it and send it to you. If you use the one on the Logan's Metals site as a model you can use cardboard to make the mock up and full size templates. You only have to make and measure for half because you can flip over the cardboard patterns for the other side. That way it doesn't seem so daunting of a task. lol
Just write pass side and driver side on the cardboard faces to keep from getting confused. You can also make and bolt the fabbed new bumper brackets on and then measure, cut and make the rest of your cardboard template pieces to fit the brackets and front end of the Jeep.

This is the model I like:
Part # LMP-XJF840101
http://www.logansmetals4x4.com/id9.html

Originally Posted by 4x4cherokeexj
Does anyone know where i can get some bumper templates?
I want to make a front bumper but dont think i have the creative mind to think it up...
I am thinking of buying a front bumper with the pre runners on it, but thats pretty spendy and i guess i can make one for cheaper... Just dont think i can make the templates in my head.
Same with a rear bumper w/ tire swing. I wish i had auto cad.

Does anyone have bumper templates? If so PM or post here.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 AM

Here is a nice simple design that would be good for your first bumper build. The winch sits down and makes it nice and clean looking. Looks easy to fab.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM

This guy built an awesome rear bumper. I really like the urethane isolator bushing he used on the tire carrier. Most people use a trailer spindle for the pivot.
Spindles:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Spin...FegZQgodTnmNNQ

Cool tire carrier build.
Down past his front bumper pics:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=bumpers
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 AM
AoA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

i like how everyone is still beating around the bush, dude asked for templates not pics and advice lmao, sorry i have yet to find templates or blue prints or any bumper more then a bar and some tubing lol
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Heres mine, main part is 2x6 tube and some 1/8" flat for the angled pieces and 1/4" flat for the mounts. Not the best templates, but I've had 10 or 11 people ask for them. Good luck man, I just looked at a bunch of bumpers and took what I liked from all of them to make my own. Take it slow and think out what you want and it'll turn out good.
Attached Thumbnails Bumper templates?-image-638531603.jpg   Bumper templates?-image-2489811708.jpg   Bumper templates?-image-1981049378.jpg   Bumper templates?-image-2720239935.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 AM

That's because they are hard to come by. So, if you can't find a good template, you will have to do what everyone else that's built one and just design and build your own. If you can't design a simple template on your own, then you probably couldn't build one even if you had a template. You still have to be able to cut, grind, measure and weld it together. The template or design is the easiest part. So if no template look at some good examples and start designing your own. You don't need AutoCad, just some cardboard, scissors and some creativity. Then the real skills come into play, building it.
If it was easy they wouldn't be able to sell them for so much money.

Originally Posted by AoA
i like how everyone is still beating around the bush, dude asked for templates not pics and advice lmao, sorry i have yet to find templates or blue prints or any bumper more then a bar and some tubing lol
Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

^^agreed. If you're gonna build your own, make it your own. Grab a tape measure, go out to your XJ, and get some basic measurements. Draw up a design based on those, tweak it as you see fit, make a cardboard template, and then build away out of steel.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 AM

Yeah, I bet he could get a friend to help and in a couple of hours he could have a nice bumper mocked up in cardboard and then just start cutting, grinding and welding it together. I saw the avatar and thought you were the one needing the template. I noticed the different name later on.
I have 2 or 3 on my old hard drive that I will try to pull up and send him to help. I can't find any online like the ones I found a year ago.
Kind of weird.
My old HD had a virus on it but I didn't format it because I have so much stuff on there, templates included.

Last edited by Modrod; 10-27-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:42 PM

My old hard drive is jacked up. I can still access some of it but I have it set up for dual boot. I tried to find the templates last night but ended spending the time trying to just get the OS to start up. I will try again tonight when I get off of work.