body cancer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l h.o.
Question body cancer

I dont know if this has been covered before, but here goes. Got an '01XJ with some minimal rust in spots and inside of doors. Want to paint this spring, but first would like to hear what the forum thinks is the best way to take care of the existing rust, and prevent further occurances. Seems to be a typical unibody problem. Obviously, I can lead and repaint. I've looked at cladding, but don't really like it. One of my friend suggested spraying bedliner, but I'm not sure about that either. Just to get by this winter I sanded off the existing cancer and sprayed rust inhibitor till I can repaint. I've gotten different opinions from the bodymen I know, with corresponding differences in price. What does the forum think? I really love my Jeep, best vehicle I've had in 30 yrs!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

If it is surface rust then you'll be able to delay the inevitable with some good rust inhibitor products. POR-15 and Hydrate-80 are both good. Beware though, you need to follow the instructions exactly with no short cuts.
Eventually you'll need to cut and weld new metal.

For the areas which haven't rusted _yet_ use rust inhibitor as well. If you can get a brush or spray gun to the area then use the same stuff. For box sections and inside doors you can spray in cavity wax. In the UK there's Waxoyl and Dinitrol. I'm not sure what is available in the US.

Last edited by Morat; 01-21-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l h.o.
Default body rust

Thanks for the feedback Morat. Never heard of cavity wax, but I'll check it out. Most of the spots look to be surface rust. I took a wire brush to it when I did the prep, and it hasn't eaten much- yet! Oz. of prevention and all that! It's factory silver so I think it will be hard to spot paint and blend well. Need to talk to my body shop friends some more, but they're real busy right now.