Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Car Security?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Best Car Security?

What is the best car security system for a Jeep? And what kinds do you use/recommend?

I bring this up especially because I spend time in the city and the transition between the country it variates alot from nice places to some of the more seedy areas? I want something that is,

-Simple
-Afordable
-Hood rat proof

Becasue basicly right now as far as I know I do not have any other security measures besides the door locks. I want to start using my "Club" more but honsestly I just forget every time. If there was some way of automating it, or making some sort of code to start the car that would be wonderfull. Or maybe adding security to other places, like where the car is usually hot wired or something?

I bring this up because my buddy was telling me about his car that was stolen and now he has got me worried.
And yes everything of value is out of sight and tucked away etc.

Last edited by Jackillac92; 10-17-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

These are pretty good, it's called the Juggernaut, it comes with a money back guarantee your vehicle won't get stolen, I'm ordering one for my Cherokee this week.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

Old 10-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0H.O. I6

Honestly, I think security systems are a waste of time. Everytime I hear one I never even look because it is always an accidental alarm from being too sensitive.

Here is what I would suggest. Either splice onto the pos. or neg. of the battery and run it through a switch into the cab of the vehicle. Hide the switch as best you can but don't make it crazy hard to get to. When you stop the car and turn it off, hit the switch and even if the ignition is punched, the car won't start. The other, maybe easier, way is to get the hot wire going to the ignition and run it through a switch. These would be known as "kill switches"

I just lock my doors and keep my windows up. Remember, a thief doesn't want what a thief can't see. So keep as many valuables out of sight, and remove your cd player faceplate if you have an aftermarket one. Maybe tint your windows. Just my opinions.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

This is great secuirity. But I really like cantab's idea too!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Originally Posted by cantab27
They are such cute puupys,what are there names?Pits are the greatest dog IMO.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 AM

Model: Wagoneer

M590A1,or my M4
Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 AM

hi anybody know how to turn the alarm off key battery failed can't turn it off
Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Lock/Unlock drivers door by hand with Key. (learned the hard way. First time I had to jump it, The alarm went off. Had to quick look it up in the manual, While it was honking away.) Might have to do this continually until battery is replaced, In the key fob.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cantab27
That would deter me! And I like dogs.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:46 AM

I have the opposite issue, I can't turn my alarm off. Everything was normal, then the drivers door buttons stoped working (Except the door lock), No windows or mirror motors working). Then left the 89 UK Spec Limited 4 ltr: on the drive whilst away. Came back, (after 10 days) the dash lights all dead, so charged the battery. Came back that afternoon and the alarm went off when I opened the door. Would not go off even when I disconnected the battery. Tried various Forum answers like the purple and yellow wire....... nothing still goes off (unless I take out a 40a fuse)'. Not sure what to do. Qustion: A) What powers the alarm once the battery is disconnected. B) whose bright idea was it to put the alarm siren where NO oe can get to it without major surgery. C) If grounding the yellow/purple wire do I just connect to the circuit or cut the wire and connect only to one side of the cut? & which side. (PS found the P&Y wire under rear seat near a black box, there isn't one in the door as suggested.) HELLLLLLLLLLP.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 AM
CF Veteran

bigdoozer; I would have to study the elect. schematics, for awhile to answer that. And even then, it wouldn't tell me the wire colors. But guessing, I would say there's a capacitor in it somewhere. To give some power to sound off, for a short period. As the battery is dieing. When ever I put a trickle charger (battery charger) on mine. I can hear a very faint intermittent buzzing sound. (The alarm system is starting to charge up, and wanting to sound off) Which reminds me to turn the key in the door. Even though I just opened the door, with the key. (To open the hood.). So next time you have to charge it up, Make sure that you turn the key in the drivers door. (lock/unlock) To shut it off. Or when the alarm gets enough juice. It will start to sound off. And will not shut off until disarmed. (locked/unlocked with door key)

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 05-01-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 92muddycherokee
Honestly, I think security systems are a waste of time. Everytime I hear one I never even look because it is always an accidental alarm from being too sensitive.

Here is what I would suggest. Either splice onto the pos. or neg. of the battery and run it through a switch into the cab of the vehicle. Hide the switch as best you can but don't make it crazy hard to get to. When you stop the car and turn it off, hit the switch and even if the ignition is punched, the car won't start. The other, maybe easier, way is to get the hot wire going to the ignition and run it through a switch. These would be known as "kill switches"

I just lock my doors and keep my windows up. Remember, a thief doesn't want what a thief can't see. So keep as many valuables out of sight, and remove your cd player faceplate if you have an aftermarket one. Maybe tint your windows. Just my opinions.
I know guys who have done this, also hidden switch for the fuel pump. Also custom quick-disconnect steering wheel like in race cars, thieves usually cant get to far without a steering wheel.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

You can have my Mother in Law. Put her in the front seat and park by a fire hydrant. She's so darn nasty you won't get it stolen and a cop won't even think twice about the parking ticket.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

well... you could do a realy off seat belt.. if seat belt is not buckled.... it wont start... crooks... well i dont know personaly.. but i dont think they break in.. buckle up then hot wire it.. :}

Quick Reply: Best Car Security?