Bedliner inside?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bedliner inside?

Alright, I've had some issues with water getting in my xj and I am going to tear out the carpet and bed line throughout. Any one have some pics of theirs through out the process and what did you do with the wiring
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Here are some pics for ya. As for the wires just get some plastic loom and zip ties to keep them safe and out of the way.

Before and After

Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 PM

what kind of bedliner did you use? I am leaning towards the rubberized to keep down the wear and tear on cargo but I am not sure it will hold up as well. btw yours looks great!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Year: 99

thats alot more freakin wires than i have in my 4 dr
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

I was thinking of doing this also. Does it cancel sound pretty well? I removed the carpet in the cargo area and it is really loud. Is it possible that the rubber coating can deafen sound coming from the engine and general road noise? It would be great if it did or do you think I should put something down first than the rubber coating?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

I've heard of people putting down dynamat before rolling in bedliner but I have not seen any pics of someone actually doing it. I just started tearing out the carpet in mine and will post a few pics once the weather cooperates
Old 12-21-2010, 10:27 AM

anyone tried the stuff in a spray can to get into the hard to reach places and how does it lay down?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Cool. I'll check out some of that dynamat. As for the spray on stuff, it probably sprays thin layers that you'll need to build up on. I am a waterproofer and when I lay spray on materials you usually have to spray over the same area several times to obtain the right thickness.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91

So pumped to do this in my Jeep, just concerned about how it would hold up in -30 (Celsius, -22 Fahrenheit).
Canadian winters are not nice, but mind you there are a lot of pickups here with bedliner...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

In my previous life I was a tinknocker (sheetmetal mechanic) by trade, I grew impartial to tekscrews and had easy access to much sheetmetal.

By time I figured out my junk had a leaky doorseal it had been detrimental to the floor and the rust had it's way w/it. This was 3 years ago I patched it the best way I could, a layer of 18 ga Stainless sheet on the ext. surface with the floor sandwiched between some epoxy and 20 ga galvanized for the int. surface, a whole helping of tekscrews.

While tackling my rusting rockers (see below) I discovered rust developing beyond the floor patch. So I took care of one issue at a time with the rockers being first.

With winter approaching it was time to do the floor. Over 2 months the rust had developed into a 3-4" hole. With the majority of the hole being under the seat rail. Once I removed the rest of the carpet, that I hadn't removed when I did the first patch job, I found the existing carpet had wicked water and developed superficial rust on the whole driverside of the XJ.

I posed a question on another forum as to which Im a member as to how they're dampening mat acts on the ext. surface and people responded w/positive findings I decided to give it a shot. Around the same time Second Skin, http://secondskinaudio.com/store.php?category=119 , just had released a new product with a total thickness of 60 mils, with 10 mils being sheet and the rest being self adhering butyl rubber. At about a 1/3 thicker aluminum sheet layer than Damplifier, I figured it was about as ideal as what I could for what I was looking to do.

Once receiving the Alpha Damp http://secondskinaudio.com/products/AlphaDamp.php#tab5 I went about to installing it. If I wanted the mat to stick a fairly clean surface is needed, so I figured now would be a good time to paint/treat the surface woth some rust treatment type of paint.

ss sheet underneath

So once that dried I placed the Alpha Damp at my feet. I once again sandwiched the floor w/a layer on the int. and another on the ext.. On the ext. I overlapped the Alpha about 6" unto the next piece to assure sufficient coverage. On the int. I patched the swiss cheese area and the parts of the floor that would see more traffic w/the thicker mat and Reqular damp everywhere else on the floor.

I don't have any pics of underneath but once I get some drier wheather, or a couple free hours, I have 3/4 of the supplied material of U-pol Raptor that I used to do my rockers with, I'm going to spray underneath covering the Alpha Damp and hopefully protect it from the dang road salt this POS state coats the road with. I'll post up some more pics at that point.

Worse comes to worse I'll just cover the floor w/some bent plate, 14 or 16 ga, that goes from the rocker to the unibody ~9". But I'll see how this holds out for this winter. All in all it took ~5 hrs to do above, when I coat underneath with Raptor liner I'm also going to spray at my feet inside and see how that holds up to the DD "abuse".

I'm happy with the results and am anxious to install the rest of the damp I have in the cargo area, doors, and roof and am anticipating favorable results in road noise reduction/dring comfort. Keep in mind my A$$ was exposed to the road but with just what I did allowed me to be able to hear my radio at 24on the highway down to 16.

Well tell me what you guys think?

So I went nutz w/the bedliner. Used 2 full bottles of Raptor. Did it in the evening so luckily I have one more bottle I intend on coating the driverside floor again, ext. HEAVY and maybe another coat on the int.. I was able to get the rockers, F&R bumpers, int. floors and door jambs. I'm happy w/the results, time will tell how it'll hold up on the floors. Oh well enough of me blabbin on to the pics....

Back seats

You can definately tell the Raptor has faded over the 2+ years but I didn't see it till this AM and it's only noticeble when new stuff is applied.....

The bottoms of the doorrs had some surface rust developing so I hit em w/some 150 gr wiped em down and Raptored em.......

Rust was developing on the rear bumper I figured why not, if ya do one why not the other, so just like the jambs hit em w/some abrasive wiped them down and went to town.

So what is the consensus? How long are you guys predicting till I have to mess with it again?

http://secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php 10X the specs of Dynamat, an made in the USA!!

Well worth the investment would/will do again. 80 sqft is enough to do whole jeep, including 4 doors, floor, rear hatch, roof, used sparingly ofcourse, results will improve the more material applied. Check out Second Skin forums