Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Battery drain

So about a week ago one night I relocated my speakers to inside the XJ down by where the driver and passenger put their feet and out of the door so I could one day go doorless. I just cut the holes out of the plastic down there instead of ordering the speaker kit. Came out the next morning and my old battery was dead. I thought it was because I had my stereo on for too long so I got a jump and she ran fine all day until the next morning was dead again. I then thought it was the battery so I just bought a new one from Autozone and she ran fine after the new battery until today after I didnt start her for a while. Its seeming like I have some type of parasitic battery drain that completely kills it if I dont start the Jeep in around 12-14 hours. It started doing this after I changed the speaker location. Any Ideas what that could be? The back of one of the speakers might be touching the metal body of the XJ as space was limited down there. will that cause a battery drain?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 6 cyl

I may sound dumb bc I'm no electrician but could one of them be hooked to a hot wire that's always hot so even when the jeep ain't on its still sucking power?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

I believe I have it figured out. I removed both the driver side and passenger side door open and closed sensor near the door hinges and I think that was causing the drain by maybe not completing the circuit. I'm not electrician either so we'll see. So far no problems after recharge and definitely something to watch out for when removing the doors off your XJ.