Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Attatchment to your XJ?

Alright, I figured we need a thread talking about just how close people are to their XJ's. I'll start.

I have grown so attatched to my XJ that when I drop her off at the mechanics to do a job I simply cant (much like tonight) that I actually am saddened by the empty spot next to the car port she sits in. I also apologize to it when I get mad during a repair and cuss and blame the rig itself.

Anyone else wanna man up and tell us how close you are to your rig?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I'm attached to mine mainly because it's my first vehicle. I apologize to it if I rev it up a lot. I'm sad every time something goes wrong. I feel like it's in pain when it needs something repaired or replaced.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say I really talk to mine or anything other than the "come on, just one more day"

Or "just make it the rest of the way home then Ill be able to see whats wrong"
type stuff

I do really love having one though and hope Ill have it for quite a while yet. If it ever dies completely I can only hope that Ill be able to get another XJ.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

bahahaha....i agree with newxjaddicts comment!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.

I'm always talking to my Jeep. Picked up a girl one day and on the ride out to her I was telling my Jeep to behave itself. Other times I tell him to make any of the usual noises it wants just to annoy my passengers. Hell, some days I'm even just venting to my Jeep. It'll scare me when my jeep actually talks back though. :P
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

It's wierd how attached I've become to my 'temporary' clunker. I only bought it because I needed a car and it was cheap, but since then I've gone from 'drive it until I can afford something new' to 'buy a parts jeep and do a 4x4 conversion'. I've become attached to it. Perhaps because it's got personality? You have to admit, XJs aren't your typical grocery getter in the personality department. They have moods. I've also grown to like the cargo/passenger capacity, visibility, and it's reminded me how much I used to love my truck when I lived back with my parents. Plus, unlike my other cars, it's never let me down. Sure, it's failed to start before (bad fuel pump, then dead battery), but the only reason I didn't drive it to Michigan on vacation was gas prices, not because I was afraid the 196k mile Jeep wouldn't make it.

And yeah, I've been known to talk to it. For as much as I play off the 'Oh, it's old, I don't care' thing I think I'd be really pissed if someone dented it. It's my Jeep, if anyone gets to dent it, it's me.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I'm so attached to my XJ that I keep fixing everything that breaks on it instead of getting a reliable vehicle.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
I'm so attached to my XJ that I keep fixing everything that breaks on it instead of getting a reliable vehicle.
haha... i was just thinking the same thing. i spent about 2 years getting it to look sweet and have the offroad capabilities i wanted and now i am in a constant state of repair. but i love it!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just respect my jeep. It takes me where ever I want to go and she knows shes gonna look pretty the next day (bath and wax job).
Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boggled
haha... i was just thinking the same thing. i spent about 2 years getting it to look sweet and have the offroad capabilities i wanted and now i am in a constant state of repair. but i love it!
When I was in the market for a new (used) vehicle, I narrowed it down to a Cherokee, (Always wanted a Jeep), or a 4Runner.

You just KNOW the 4Runner would have way less problems........that's if it had ANY problems at all.

I could have been driving my 4Runner instead of fixing my XJ...but I still love her.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

I am pretty attached to mine as well. I do talk to her. I really hate not driving it. Nothing drives the same, nothing that I have driven has more personality. Plus its my first vehicle so I guess that might have something to do with it. I talk to the PO all the time and he is amazed how much it has changed from the hole in the roof to the torn seats now its mostly perfect.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Im glad I'm not the only one that talks to my XJ. It's so bad to the point that when I am driving to the parts store, I will be talking like a father to his kid..

"And I'm gonna get you this, and then I'm gonna make sure you get this too, and you'll be as happy as can be.."

I'm waiting for it to start doin the Herby thing, like wiggling and moving and the sorts lol.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i treat mine like a sledgehammer. and it just laughs at me. that's the extent of my conversation with my XJ. you guys just threw a very good idea out there. they should have an XJ in the next transformer movie. that would be bada$$.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Tural
i treat mine like a sledgehammer. and it just laughs at me. that's the extent of my conversation with my XJ. you guys just threw a very good idea out there. they should have an XJ in the next transformer movie. that would be bada$$.
I like it!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nearly everything I say to my XJ is foul and vulgar. I treat it as if I was and Ike and she was Tina. In other words, as much as I enjoy taking it out to the trails, it is nothing more than a means of transportaion. Seeing how it is not my primary vehicle, or even secondary for that matter, I beat it without mercy and upgrade whatever decides to break under the strain.

Quick Reply: Attatchment to your XJ?