Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?

Wanting to paint the jeep, on the cheap of course. I have seen some pretty aweful rattle can jobs, but I have seen a few done dam near perfect. I was wandering if it was worth doing with auto paint or just use spray cans since it'll get scratched again any way?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

It's all in the prep work.

My header/passenger fender , bumper and sliders have all been rattle canned
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-2386489700.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-3242085953.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-3142807567.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Hows it holding up?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I have been told by a few life long body men (70+ years old) that the paint in rattle cans is as good, if not better, than the paint you will get if you go get a gallon of automotive paint from the parts store. They said that the real problem is the way it is applied. Said to hold the can upside down and let all the propellent out and then punch a hole in it and drain it into a paint gun if you want a perfect paintjob.

Now, with that said, I like Krylon with the wide spray tip. I have painted a few body parts on past projects with it and if you take your time, do the proper prep, wet sand, and clear it, it looks good. make sure you don't cross paint brands as well because they may not react well to each other.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by DougyFresh
I have been told by a few life long body men (70+ years old) that the paint in rattle cans is as good, if not better, than the paint you will get if you go get a gallon of automotive paint from the parts store. They said that the real problem is the way it is applied. Said to hold the can upside down and let all the propellent out and then punch a hole in it and drain it into a paint gun if you want a perfect paintjob.

Now, with that said, I like Krylon with the wide spray tip. I have painted a few body parts on past projects with it and if you take your time, do the proper prep, wet sand, and clear it, it looks good. make sure you don't cross paint brands as well because they may not react well to each other.

This is what I've heard. The tips just don't allow for a even spray, not enough width as you hinted at.

I am torn right now on rattle can or trying to learn to do a little basic paint work. I really don't want to pay to get my jeep painted, not like it needs it but it could use it but its just not worth paying for. I've considered getting the cheap spray gun and air compressor. I have other tools, a ton of tape since I do some detailing so I would need to get sand paper and whatever else. I figure a Jeep would be a good way to learn since if I offroad it, its going to get beat up anyway.

Probably really not worth it but its fun learning stuff.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

As said before, it's all in the prep. Air brushes are always a good investment, but a rattle can job can be just as good. Just depends on how patient you are, and how thoroughly you prep. Our firewood go-getter Chevy truck has a rattle can OD green paint job on it, and it looks just as good as it did 3 years ago when we painted it.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM

Engine: 4.0l

I love the rustolium bedliner spray had it all my trucks bumpers and lower bodys, axle, frame anything and everything. never chipped, never flaked off and thats with absolutely no prep just paint. Having said that once I get all the holes from the old bush wackers I'm painting the entire Jeep in beeline spray, including the floor and roof(no carpet and no head liner). It covers quick paints wide and even if done right. Listen to the direction on how to paint with it. I love this crap tough durable and a nice look.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1985
Engine: 5.7L V8

Here are mine
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-3284501821.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-351241477.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-2643945417.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-1124665251.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM

Wouldn't be by choice of color, but it looks well done. How's it holding up?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Your best bet if you want it to last is to get a $30 harbor freight purple hvlp and a decent size compressor then spray a base coat clear coat on it. With a base coat clear coat your really going to have to prep it or if you want to skimp on prep it will still last you'll just have imperfections in it. Whoever said that spray cans are as good as using a gun must have been high. A rattle can is an enamel which doesn't hold to sun and all the elements all that well. You could get five or so years out of it but it will start to look like crap after a while. The rattle can is also an aerosol which makes the paint harder then then it would be out of a gun making it easier to chip. You can get a good looking paint job for a few years but if you want it to last go with the best route to begin with.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trimmy
Your best bet if you want it to last is to get a $30 harbor freight purple hvlp and a decent size compressor then spray a base coat clear coat on it. With a base coat clear coat your really going to have to prep it or if you want to skimp on prep it will still last you'll just have imperfections in it. Whoever said that spray cans are as good as using a gun must have been high. A rattle can is an enamel which doesn't hold to sun and all the elements all that well. You could get five or so years out of it but it will start to look like crap after a while. The rattle can is also an aerosol which makes the paint harder then then it would be out of a gun making it easier to chip. You can get a good looking paint job for a few years but if you want it to last go with the best route to begin with.
What size compressor would you need?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

I did my paint job almost entirely from Walmart, except I bought a cheap Harbor Freight drill to help speed up paint removal. I bought several paint/rust removal wheels, automotive primer spray cans, and OD Green spray cans from Walmart. I used the removal wheels and took off all the old paint down to bare metal. Then 2 coats of primer and then a coat or 2 of OD Green. Just do a good job of taping or you will have to fix it later.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-970983450.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-2345639322.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-2645639586.jpg   Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?-image-12481566.jpg  
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM

Ugh still undecided. Local paint store has a single stage kit for $125. gloss black.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by motoo344
What size compressor would you need?
You can probably get by with a 30 gallon or so. I have a 60 gallon and it will run the HF gun all day long. If you go with a 30 gallon compressor you might have to take a 30 break every now and again but just watch your pressure and it will be all good and come out WAY better then a spray can could ever do. Trust me I want to paint mine desert tan and it would be a little cheaper to go spray can but it wont look as nice or hold up as well. For me I only have to buy paint which will be around $125 or I can spend $75 on a rattle can that Ill have to redo in two or three years.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM

I don't do trails so trail/rock rash wont bother me that oftern. Prolly going to do it with single stage once I get done with the interior.

Quick Reply: Anyone have pics of their spray can paint jobs?