Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any scary moments/ close calls in your XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 K&N filter
Default Any scary moments/ close calls in your XJ?

Ive just been reading around bout lifts and sway bar and what not..

and i was thinking about when i was moving from CO back to the east coast. Fully packed jeep, doin 80 through kansas/ missouri.. pull over to get gas in missouri somewhere. look around the jeep. and what do i find. but my front sway bar is just kinda hanging out not connected to anything. the fittings must have gotten lose and fallen out.

needless to say the next part of the trip was a little slower
Old 09-05-2010, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The only close call i had was the day after i finished the lift. Driving down one of the highways here, and there was a guy who was tail-gating me BAD. If he wasn't there, the guy behind him would've been tailgating me. That's how close he was, less then a car length (we were going 60mph, too). I brake-checked him pretty hard, watched his brakes lock up, and stepped on it so he didn't rear end me. After that, he stayed a good 5 or 6 car lengths away. I hate tail-gaters!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87

Originally Posted by vasponger
but my front sway bar is just kinda hanging out not connected to anything. the fittings must have gotten lose and fallen out.
I don't even run a sway bar. Haven't in about 2 years.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Same here with no sway bars, ive gone 110 with no sway bars and had no death wobble.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Last winter, going up cemitary hill in after a snow storm and my rear end kicked out on black ice going 30, I corrected it but the rear end swung to far out and sent the front end toward a telephone pole, spun the steering wheel back and thankfully the rear end came back into my lane and the tires caught some grip so i was fine after the rear end hooked up
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6 efi

I put this in the Dumb things you've done to your Jeep thread but it belongs here more.

Wheeled a unfamiliar trail with my club, went over the edge of rock and rolled twice down a steep hill, ended up resting right side up on a rock wall. Ripped out my front axle, and pulled the passengers seat mount through the floor I feel like that would have killed my wife if she wasn't wearing her harness. Moral of that story, wear your seat belt, and don't do any hardcore wheelin when you have no idea were your going.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

when i was 16 i jumped my old xj 62 feet. i didnt mean to jump that far but it did and we measured it when my buddy showed up with a spare tire for us to get home. i had a spare but i blew out 2 tires when we landed and a lot of other stuff. i put about 10k miles on it after that earning the name ol'faithful lol
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 30 over 4.0

i had just put my wheel spacer on a for some reason i took off for a test drive with out cheack all the lugs,luckly the guy behind me was layin on his horn and flashing his lights like a mad man good thing to onlt had twolug left.ooops
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

i went wheeling at Ft. Indiantown Gap in PA, when i was stationed there, my buddies decided to go tubing in the river, and i followed alongside the river looking for a place to wheel. i found some older trails, going down was doable, but coming up became a challenge. i put some large rocks together to build a passage. while driving up, one of the rocks slipped and i slid sideways. i hit a tree and stopped. if it wasn't for that tree, i would have either flipped, or slid all the way down into the river.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

wasnt in my xj, but definitely a scary moment.

Back when i had my old 89 yota, single cab, 2wd.
Well it was not long after i had got my license, and i was mostly used to driving my moms 2000 camry. There is this one pretty sharp curve that curves around to about 180 degrees, so its a pretty long curve. Well long story short i was used to taking it in the camry so thought nothing about going fast around it just after it had rained. The light back end of the truck swung around into the other lane and just as that happened a car came around the bend. Pulled the steering wheel in the other direction and almost drove into a ditch....scared the hell out of me, most definitely gave me a different perspective of driving in the rain.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
wasnt in my xj, but definitely a scary moment.

Back when i had my old 89 yota, single cab, 2wd.
Well it was not long after i had got my license, and i was mostly used to driving my moms 2000 camry. There is this one pretty sharp curve that curves around to about 180 degrees, so its a pretty long curve. Well long story short i was used to taking it in the camry so thought nothing about going fast around it just after it had rained. The light back end of the truck swung around into the other lane and just as that happened a car came around the bend. Pulled the steering wheel in the other direction and almost drove into a ditch....scared the hell out of me, most definitely gave me a different perspective of driving in the rain.
that's how you end up with two sets of skidmarks one set on the road, and another ...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by Tural
that's how you end up with two sets of skidmarks one set on the road, and another ...
haha yeah, i hear that. definitely turned me away from the whole "drifting" stuff people like to do, going into a curve facing the wrong direction just doesnt make sense to me.....