Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Aluminum rims

Is it ok to wheel with aluminum rims? My friend wants to trade me american racing rims for my soft 8s any opinions?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4L Renix

aluminum rims are fine. the only down side is instead of bending they usually crack or chip or break a large piece off if your being very ruff with them and or smack them on rocks.

steel you can bend it back with a BFH and air it back up most times.

i wheeled my rover for years on aluminum wheels with no problems. the trails around here arnt too hairy so i am sure that helped alot as well.

if you plant to wheel in some ruff nasty places keep the soft 8's.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0

That's all I've ran on my jeeps. They are lighter than the steelies. And don't bend as easy IMO. Only thing I have steel wheels on is my old Chevy
Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Aluminum wheels are much better than steel in most cases. Most steel wheels are rated for 1600 - 1800 lbs while a good pressure cast rim will be rated from 2600 - 3400 lbs, that means they can take up to twice the hit of a steel wheel, and although many people say that you can just beat the steel rim back into shape and continue wheeling in over 35 years of wheeling I've never seen one that didn't need replacing after being badly bent.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Depends on the terrain you wheel. I have busted chunks out of aluminum wheels on rocks to the point they wouldn't hold air and my current steelies have had a few rounds with a hammer so they would hold air again. Steel weighs more and slightly reduces mpg but not really enough to notice. I personally prefer steel just because I can bend it back, maybe not perfect but enough to hold a bead.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is say keep the steel. Less expensive to replace if needed to. Plus not a fan of those aluminum wheels on xjs.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Well after tonite i will never drive my XJ with aluminum rims i had my wheel fall off a year ago the stock XJ classic aluminum rim and tonite i let my friend use my spare that was mounted on another stock XJ rim and his fell off tonite too i dont whats up with these rims but im sticking to steel from now on
Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Fell off! Not broken, just fell off the Jeep? If that is what happened the lug nuts and wheel studs are steel not aluminum, tighten and use a torque wrench.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
Well after tonite i will never drive my XJ with aluminum rims i had my wheel fall off a year ago the stock XJ classic aluminum rim and tonite i let my friend use my spare that was mounted on another stock XJ rim and his fell off tonite too i dont whats up with these rims but im sticking to steel from now on
The wheels did not fall off because they were aluminum. There was an installation problem. If it was an actual structural problem with the wheel, it should have been obvious beforehand.
If they are not properly torqued and/or fairly evenly torqued, it can lead to this problem.

Anyway, I have always wheeled aluminum and have had no issues. Lighter, and they are still not breaking the bank. In the grand scheme of things, I have never felt $100 per wheel was very expensive for what they are.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

My first wheel that fell off was put on by a midas and it went flying off 10 miles later and my friends truck which was last night was put on by a boces but for me im sticking to steel rims i feel safer with steel then aluminum
Old 01-02-2012, 05:27 PM

As I have already posted somewhere else, I have wheeled my TJ with Champion beadlocks(aluminum) Through Moab and trails in the southeast as well as driving on them for 10 years. It was also my daily driver. I never had a problem, buy quality parts any you will not have a problem. This is the only forum where I swear the only wheel people run is a damn soft 8 or black D windows. I now have Enduro beadlocks on my XJ wheeled it a few times and its also my DD and still have not had a problem. I have had a YJ, TJ, XJ and 4runner that I wheeled ALL with aluminum wheels and have never bent or cracked one...

Last edited by brotu123; 01-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM

I'm not taking sides on AL vs SL rims but there needs to be a changing of your lug nuts. I have a set of steel and aluminum rims. Pulled the ST off and installed the AL, 3 miles lost one. Take a gander at the bevel of your lug nut. The ST rim lugs are a taller "height" than the AL lugs. The "bind" for AL needs more surface area to "center" and the taper on the ST ones will bottom out against the disc/drum in some cases. This can allow the wheel to vibrate, shake, and then remove its self. The shorter taper on the AL lugs allows the centering of the lug on thicker more softer metal. I have run into this problem thru all kinds of vehicles with ST to AL or AL to ST. I know most "mag" wheels from my buddy use the hub to "center" the wheel and have no taper, just a washer. I'm by far no expert on this stuff, but experience has been my greatest teacher. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm all about learning.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I know people that wheel both. 89eliminator wheels alum. wheels and he actually wheels the hell out of them. But I am going to have to agree when it comes time to replace them or one. $50 soft 8 or $100+ for an alum. replacement.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Gotta aggree with the dislike of the hi $ aluminum price. Got mine for free. With 1/2 life 30's on 'em.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Engine: I-6

Not to steal the thread, but has anyone tried straightening out a bent alluminum rim?

Quick Reply: Aluminum rims