Advice for new Jeep owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 Li I6
Default Advice for new Jeep owner

I hope this is in the right spot, it wouldn't let me post in the other section. I just bought my first Cherokee (2001 Cherokee Sport) about a week ago. I apologize beforehand because I don't know anything about cars but I want to learn which is why I am posting here. (so please don't make fun of me if I sound stupid). When I bought it the guy said the only thing that was wrong with it was something with the abs, but he told me he took it to the dealership and it wasn't anything that needed to be fixed (I don't know if he was telling the truth about that or not). When I put on the brakes it vibrates, not grinding like it needs brakes but more of a vibrating. The only thing I noticed that needs to be fixed was the brakes squealing but I didn't really notice that until after I bought it, so I know that needs to be fixed. There is also a roaring noise. He told me he just changed the oil a week beforehand.

I took it to a mechanic just to have it checked, and he told me a whole list of things that needed to be fixed (I'm attaching photos from the shop). The main thing was an oil leak. He said it seemed like it might have been sitting for a while or it wasn't taken care of but overall it was a solid jeep. Other than the two things I mentioned that I noticed it drives really well and the inside is in really good condition. I'm just asking for advice, the mechanic seemed honest but I don't know if he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm just wondering what should I start out with? I have been scouring these forums & I'm planning on getting a repair manual & a diagnostic tool so I can start maybe just doing some things myself. Thanks so much

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Welcome aboard and congrats on the jeep. Don't worry if this is in the wrong spot. A mod can always move it.

Was that stuff the mechanic did or checked already?

Alot of those issues, you can fix with some hand tools and you tube videos and info from this site. Bleepin jeep has a ton of good videos.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 AM

The mechanic just did a check and those are just the things he told me needed to be fixed. I haven't done anything to it yet. He said the total for all of those repairs was about $2600 which is just about as much as I paid for it.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM

The rear main seal.. I wouldn't recommend if you are just beginning to learn how to work on your own stuff. Thats a pretty heavy duty job for a new guy.

The oil filter adapter gasket is not technically hard, but there are a ton of write-ups about it because of the historically difficult to remove bolt LOL.

Removing and cleaning your throttle body is pretty simple.

The miss-fire tells me it may be time for a full tune up! This is a perfect start to learning how to work on cars.

The brakes and wheel hub isn't too difficult. The rear brake adjustment isn't very hard. The shock replacement isn't hard either.

Just get you some tools and a repair manual and get dirty!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 PM

None of us were born with the knowledge, many of us did not go to school for it. So if we can learn, you can too!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

You may or may not need a RMS...it may just be leaking from the valve cover. (it runs down the rear of the engine, and can make it look like a RMS leak) Most of the other stuff seems legit, but as stated, you can do all of it in your driveway for a lot less than a dealership. The XJ is an excellent base for building up your mechanical abilities. Congrats and welcome to the sickness!

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 09-01-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:05 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Do this for your TBI and IAC

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/tb...eaning-179079/
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Yup, what was said here. Time to get your hands dirty buddy and welcome to th addiction. By doing this things yourself, you'll save probably 2,100. Don't forget the one time cost for tools. But honestly, start with the TB, spark plugs and shocks. Get some PB blaster and a decent set of sockets.

You can start with a duralast set but Def get in the future a craftsman set. I even had some husky and kobolt tools too.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Awesome, I feel alot better now. Thank to all for the advice!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
You may or may not need a RMS...it may just be leaking from the valve cover. (it runs down the rear of the engine, and can make it look like a RMS leak) Most of the other stuff seems legit, but as stated, you can do all of it in your driveway for a lot less than a dealership. The XJ is an excellent base for building up your mechanical abilities. Congrats and welcome to the sickness!
I was hoping his mechanic wasn't an idiot :-)
Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM

i was thinking about this thread earlier... If it was me and I was just starting out. I would pick the simplest job and tackle that. Then move up to the more complicated ones. As long as she runs and you keep her full of fluids you won't hurt anything. One step at a time, one repair at a time.

Brakes are pretty important though!

So for me... I would start with a FULL tune-up, then brake job.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by JackJare9455
i was thinking about this thread earlier... If it was me and I was just starting out. I would pick the simplest job and tackle that. Then move up to the more complicated ones. As long as she runs and you keep her full of fluids you won't hurt anything. One step at a time, one repair at a time.

Brakes are pretty important though!

So for me... I would start with a FULL tune-up, then brake job.
That sounds like a good plan. What exactly does a full tune-up consist of, and is that something I can do myself or would i be better off taking it somewhere.. i know it involves changing the spark plugs and I think I can handle that, but as far as everything else I'm not sure I would know what to do.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

For your year, go to advanceauto and search NGK 3459 which are the ZFR5N plugs. Best for our year. Get a new air filter. Get a bottle of sea foam deep creep for the TB. Spark plugs are a 35-50 min job. ou need a decent socket set with an extension bit. How's your cooling. Where does the needle sit on the gauge. Open your radiator cap when cold and look at th coolant.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum glad you came to learn this is a great place for that lots of knowledge here to pull from. If you take the time to search you can find how to do most every item on that list here in detail.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
For your year, go to advanceauto and search NGK 3459 which are the ZFR5N plugs. Best for our year. Get a new air filter. Get a bottle of sea foam deep creep for the TB. Spark plugs are a 35-50 min job. ou need a decent socket set with an extension bit. How's your cooling. Where does the needle sit on the gauge. Open your radiator cap when cold and look at th coolant.
Alright thanks... The temp is usually right in the middle (around 210) I've been trying to watch it. I did add some coolant just in case and I added seafoam to the gas tank but I was afraid to add it anywhere else.