XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Advice on first Cherokee!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Advice on first Cherokee!

Hey everyone!
I just sold my first car and joined the forum because I decided that I want some thing a little more practical for college and I think a cherokee will do just that. My issue is that there are 2 cherokees near me, both around $3500 but one is almost completely stock and the other is basically a trail rig i think.

I want to do a 4.5" lift and either 31 or 32" tires but my question is whether i should get the trail rig with all the stuff on it or get the stock one and put all the money into lifting it. I'm paranoid that the trail rig would be unreliable and I would end up spending the extra money anyways.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM

Here are pictures of each one
Attached Images   
Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Get the stock one and build it yourself, not only will you get to know your vehicle but youll know that if anyone has beatin it to **** it was you. Id say if you plan on only 31s or 32s(dont get 32s) only do a 3" lift, so you can avoid stuff like SYE/TC drop. **** Im at 3" now and am confident I could fit some 35s
Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Ideally id want 33"s . Would I really need the sye with a 4.5" lift? I was looking at the rough country 4.5 and it comes with a tc drop. I'm about to go look at the trail rig just to see what its like to drive a cherokee.
Unfortunately the guy with the stock xj wont contact me back :/
Old 04-11-2014, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
Get the stock one and build it yourself, not only will you get to know your vehicle but youll know that if anyone has beatin it to **** it was you. Id say if you plan on only 31s or 32s(dont get 32s) only do a 3" lift, so you can avoid stuff like SYE/TC drop. **** Im at 3" now and am confident I could fit some 35s
This ^ My XJ had a shiity tuff country 3" lift and 31's when I bought it. Within a year I replaced every single suspension component with a 3.5" Rubicon express/Teraflex/ bilstein hybrid lift and had 33's. Now I have the same lift on 35's.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on first Cherokee!-image-340259231.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Is rough country really that bad? I've some people say their awful and others say they're not that bad. I was looking at it because its a complete kit for ~800 and the RE kit is like $300 extra. And ride quality isn't super important, i can deal with a bumpy ride (My old car was a lowered mustang lol)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

He said tuff country, two different brands. But I run this kit http://www.detoursusa.com/fsc.php and its okay, only reason i went with it because it was cheap and fast, and I will be upgrading in summer. I dont mind it, it is rough but its a jeep. I keep up with all my buddies that went out and got IRO or RE
Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 PM

ohh ok, read that one wrong. Hopefully I can pick one up in the next few days and i can start a build thread for it and get out on some trails!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Indy XJ
Is rough country really that bad? I've some people say their awful and others say they're not that bad. I was looking at it because its a complete kit for ~800 and the RE kit is like $300 extra. And ride quality isn't super important, i can deal with a bumpy ride (My old car was a lowered mustang lol)
Rough Country has its ups and downs. Some people love it because of the price and they DO NOT put any abuse on it so it works for them. Rides a little rough but what do you expect for the price. I have built 2 jeeps (XJ,TJ) with rough country. My only advice would be do not expect a miracle. They are cheap kits thus, they use cheap parts. If your going for looks and thats about it, you can use anything man!! Just do not expect a great ride without forking out for GOOD shocks. My 2 cents..

FYI - First two RC builds were GREAT learning experiences and parts are cheap so worked out for my intentions. Both kits gave way though after about 1 year of trails on the weekends.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM

If anything breaks on the RC kits will they replace them for free? I thought I saw that they had a lifetime warranty?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Rough Country Suspension Systems offers a Lifetime Replacement Warranty on all suspension products including Shocks and Stabilizers*. All products are warranted to be free from defects in material and craftsmanship for the life of the vehicle if utilized in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions for installation and operation of said products. Rough Country's Lifetime Replacement Warranty is non-transferable and may only be enacted by the original purchaser of warranted equipment.

*Note: Some suspension components are prone to gradual wear and tear over time and therefore are not covered within the Lifetime Replacement Warranty. Exclusions to our standard Lifetime Replacement Warranty include wear and tear items such as mountings, bushings, diminished shock and stabilizer dampening resistance, finish, dents and scratches as these components and issues can wear out or occur naturally over time.

This is where they get ya on the "NOTE" section.. Their "gradual wear and tear" is ALOT quicker than others. So if you beat it up and it breaks, your fault, no replacement. If you install it and it falls off in the driveway right after = new part..
Old 04-11-2014, 04:13 PM

oh ok. I would really only wheel it occasionally, I feel obligated to since its a jeep lol. But its mainly just gonna be a DD through college.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Haha, I understand. The problem with that mindset is that it sounds like a great plan NOW.. Then you lift it and go wheelin once and get hooked..then you go more and more and the problems begin.. Thats what happened to me anyway.. hahahaha
Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Yup they will. I pound the **** out of my jeep and only thing ive dont was strip a lower rear shock mount and my shock popped off
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 PM

Thats exactly why you should just not waste money on RC brother.. spend the extra couple hundred and rock RE or IRO.. I personally LOVE IRO..

Quick Reply: Advice on first Cherokee!