Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Across the country in an XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Across the country in an XJ

This summer some friends and I are spending 3 months driving across North America in my 98 4L 4-door xj and living out of it the entire way. Does anyone have any suggestions about maintenance and what to watch out for when driving 500+ miles/day?

The jeep's pretty well stock everything, I recently replaced the headlights and did some work to the front bumper. Replaced the battery and alternator a month ago. I bought a roof basket that will help carry camping gear or the spare tire.

We'll be heading up north through the Yukon and into Alaska in early summer, where we'll probably get into some rougher roads, and long stretches without gas stations/service centres.

I'd love to hear any suggestions for keeping the xj running smooth, or how to make the most of the interior space.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Get a roof rack, carry spare fuel. If its a stocker, don't worry too much about spares since you'll be able to get almost everything at a parts store. Make sure you have good recovery points, tire plugs, a way to air up, and a full size spare.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mbennett_26
This summer some friends and I are spending 3 months driving across North America in my 98 4L 4-door xj and living out of it the entire way. Does anyone have any suggestions about maintenance and what to watch out for when driving 500+ miles/day?

The jeep's pretty well stock everything, I recently replaced the headlights and did some work to the front bumper. Replaced the battery and alternator a month ago. I bought a roof basket that will help carry camping gear or the spare tire.

We'll be heading up north through the Yukon and into Alaska in early summer, where we'll probably get into some rougher roads, and long stretches without gas stations/service centres.

I'd love to hear any suggestions for keeping the xj running smooth, or how to make the most of the interior space.
Tune up, oil change, rotate your tires and check for proper air pressure. Check all your fluids, maybe flush the radiator, check brakes & grease everything you can. Maybe change the CPS & NSS just-in-case or carry a set with you. Also, make sure you pack tools to fix anything you might break on the road.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

up to alaska eh, is this across the states or canada?
living out of the jeep remember your camping gear
where are you starting from?
good luck
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

i took my cherokee 1000 miles in one day it was brutal but she made it just fine. just make sure all your fluids are topped off change your oild and maybe a coolant flush, make sure your temp gauge and oil pressure gauge work good