Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Accent colors and pairing paints with factory colors

So, I have to give them credit, those red tow hooks on the new Trailhawks look pretty cool. Ive seen lots of people accent different things on their rides, not just Jeeps. Lime green, bright red, or blue metallic diff covers on black or white vehicles, ect.

Just about anything can go well with blue, silver, white. There are fewer options for some other colors...

If you're one of us with an off-the-wall color (like the Bright Satin Jade Glow), have you painted any part of your rig in a color that goes with the main paint color? what did you choose? how did you settle on it?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 I6

I have flame red. Originally I had painted my bumpers with black spray paint. When it came time to paint my rear bumper, I went with with Rustoleum "Hammered" black paint only to find out that, when fully dry, is actually a dark grey. I then realized that grey looks way better as an accent color to my red.

Here is how it looked before.
Accent colors and pairing paints with factory colors-20170402_140054.jpg

And after the new paint
Accent colors and pairing paints with factory colors-20170406_103445.jpg
Old 04-16-2017, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I really like that rustoleum hammered. Nobprep work and It holds up well too.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Yeah i used the Hammered black for a Halloween costume prop to give it a hammered, more blacksmithed sort of look. So my Beskad looked more like hammered mando iron than a length of "safe" wood.

In any case, I'm thinking maybe a bronze or copper color would look nice
Here's a pic, its old (the day i bought it) but if you've never seen BJSG paint before.
Attached Thumbnails Accent colors and pairing paints with factory colors-98.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

It really depends what you want your xj to look like. First, you have wayyyyyyyyy too many colors on it. The faded trim, the darker blue "sport" decal, black bumpers, etc.

Blue is a "cool" color. You can basically do almost anything you want with it but it's all in the execution. You can make it retro adding green or purple or even a darker blue as an accent color. Warmer colors will pop against the main color. An example of this would be your orange marker light. See how your attention is drawn to it?

I would recommend restoring the trim to it's original black color (you can use a small flame on a propane torch to do this, youtube it) and start with a fresh canvas. Even painting the wheels with a nice new coat of silver would make for a huge change.

Using neutral accents like whites/blacks/silvers will draw attention more towards the main color of your jeep.

So it really depends how you want it to look. Hope this helps. I used safety orange against my emerald green and get plenty of compliments. Ran an orange pinstripe as well. This was because I honestly don't like the main color of my jeep. Emerald green wasn't in my top colors for XJ's but it wasn't a deal breaker when I bought it 6 years ago with 50k miles on it lol. It could have been pink for all I care.