Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default 3 inch lift

OK guys, ive finally came to the conclusion that i need a lift. I have decided that the lift i need is a 3 inch but dont know which one to get. I was thinking rough country or procomp or something like that. I would like to keep my jeep riding pretty smooth (not including the mud terrains im gonna get) i just dont want to be swaying in the road or hitting the roof every time i hit a bump, and i do understand that it wont ride like it did stock as ive come to terms with that. So what are your opinons? If you have a reccommended lift please give a link THANKS!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my oppinion and from what I have been told You can go with the rough country 3 inch lift but spend the extra little bit of money and get the full pack and upgraded shocks.

I don't have personal experience but from what I have heard it is a fair priced lift for what you get.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

yes that was what i was planning if i get rough country but will it ride decently smooth? and will my jeep still drive straight? lol you know like sway while i drive?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Well like I said I am just refering to what other people have said about it. I have not heard of anyone saying it was overly rough as long as you got the better shocks. I am sure some others who have actually installed it will pop on and let you know the outcome.

The main thing is that its a Jeep not a caddy so a little rough is normal anyway lol.

Good Luck!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

I would have to say get the rough country Series II, with full leaf packs. Don't do add a leaf. And it's worth it to have those new lower control arms with bushings and all that.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html

you'll also want to add an adjustable track bar. You could just drill another hole and relocate yours... but why when you can add heavy duty stuff? and alot of the original trac bars seem to get sloppy after awhile and can be a contributing factor to death wobble.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...t_Code=IR-SATB

and if you're gonna go with 31's, make sure you get some rims with 4.5" of backspacing or less. The stock rims have too much backspacing and will rub the lower control arms when turned tight.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

how much would the stage II lift run me with the full leaf packs? and would i need a high lift for a 3 inch lift? Ive got mickey thompsons 15x8 wheels with a 3-5/16 backspacing and a -30 offset, would that work with 31's or would it rub like you said?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

ok i just wanted to ask, are the new rear springs necessary or will the add a leaf work just as well? I wont be doing alot of wheeling at all b/c this is my DD(gonna get a trail rig soon). Reason being that im on a fixed buget and am trying to save as much money as i can for the tires that im gonna have to buy.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

if you click on the linnk and scroll to the bottom, price with full packs is there. No, add a leafs won't work just as well unless you're gonna sell it right after you lift it. Even mall crawling add a leafs always seem to sag bad within a few months. Better off just to save up the extra cash.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

oh, and I think those rims would work beautifully
Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

I have been told over and over and read it here so many times. Spend the extra cash and get the full springs. AAL will sag pretty quick from what I hear and you will be kicking yourself and replacing with full packs anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

well damn, thats alot more money than my budget can handle. What is the difference between the regular 3 inch lift and the series II? could i just get the new rear springs with the regular lift and still be just as happy with it?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

You could get the regular 3 inch lift not the series 2 and the full leaf packs then over time get the other parts that would normally come with the series 2 kit. I am not sure on all the details but just take a look on their website you should be able to see/read what extra parts the series 2 comes with.

Or do the s-10 bastard pack rear leafs. Many people have done that too and been happy with it.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

will the series II ride better than the other? i mean if it will give it a better ride then i guess i could wait a little while and save my money.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

I think the series 2 kit has more suspension components with it so it would be fresh bushings and LCA's I think so Just the fresh bushings and such would be smoother.

It all depends on how much you are willing to save up/spend vs. how much possible "smoother" ride you are willing to give up.

really its all personal choice. Again I havent really heard anyone have any major gripes or complaints about ride quality. Only complaint/warning I have gotten is to spend the extra cash on the full leaf packs.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

really it depends on the condition of your current setup. with mine I could get under it, have someone rock the wheel left to right and watch the whole axle move side to side alot more than it should. That would be the track bar and the control arm bushings in my case. The regular 3" lift should ride pretty good as well. I'm not sure if the lower control arms that come with the series II are longer or not?

Quick Reply: 3 inch lift