Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 cherokee

vin # 1J4FF48SOYL121802 looking for new exhaust and seems to be date ???? on when was built? I think parts are differant after 1-0-2000 any help would be great
Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If you want to know when your vehicle was built, look at the sticker on the driver's side door. It will give you month and year.

You can help us help you by being more specific with your questions. What exactly are you trying to replace? Are you trying to replace the entire exhaust, including the manifold? Or just from the manifold back? Or just from the cat back?

A little info that might help you figure this out:

In model year 2000 (which began manufacture in late 1999) there were two basic versions of the XJ exhaust, based on emissions laws. The EPA version, also sometimes called the "49-state" version, had one catalytic converter and two O2 sensors. The California version built for the more restrictive California emission laws had three catalytic converters and four O2 sensors. The CA version was sold all over the country, so don't assume that you have an EPA exhaust if you're not in California.

If you're trying to buy direct bolt-on exhaust parts, which parts you need will depend on which emissions version you have. On the CA version, the twin downpipe under the exhaust manifold has two extra catalytic converters, and there are four O2 sensors (two before and two after the cats). Then you will have a third cat toward the middle of the vehicle that does NOT have an O2 sensor in it.

On the EPA version, the twin downpipe is just straight pipes. It has only one catalytic converter near the middle of the vehicle. There are two O2 sensors, one in the crossover pipe just behind the engine bay, and one in the catalytic converter.

There are two primary ways to figure out which version you have. One is to just look right under the exhaust manifold at the twin downpipe. You can see the two catalytic converters and extra O2 sensors there if you have CA emissions. The other way is to look at the sticker on the firewall in the engine bay directly in front of the driver's seat. It will tell you whether it complies with CA or EPA emissions. You could also roll under the side of the vehicle and look at the rear cat; if it has an O2 sensor mounted in it, it's EPA.

Once you know what version you have, then you can shop for exhaust parts. If you'll let us know what specific parts you're looking for and what brands you're considering, we may be able to help more.

Last edited by extrashaky; 12-28-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If you want to know when your vehicle was built, look at the sticker on the driver's side door. It will give you month and year.

You can help us help you by being more specific with your questions. What exactly are you trying to replace? Are you trying to replace the entire exhaust, including the manifold? Or just from the manifold back? Or just from the cat back?

A little info that might help you figure this out:

In model year 2000 (which began manufacture in late 1999) there were two basic versions of the XJ exhaust, based on emissions laws. The EPA version, also sometimes called the "49-state" version, had one catalytic converter and two O2 sensors. The California version built for the more restrictive California emission laws had three catalytic converters and four O2 sensors. The CA version was sold all over the country, so don't assume that you have an EPA exhaust if you're not in California.

If you're trying to buy direct bolt-on exhaust parts, which parts you need will depend on which emissions version you have. On the CA version, the twin downpipe under the exhaust manifold has two extra catalytic converters, and there are four O2 sensors (two before and two after the cats). Then you will have a third cat toward the middle of the vehicle that does NOT have an O2 sensor in it.

On the EPA version, the twin downpipe is just straight pipes. It has only one catalytic converter near the middle of the vehicle. There are two O2 sensors, one in the crossover pipe just behind the engine bay, and one in the catalytic converter.

There are two primary ways to figure out which version you have. One is to just look right under the exhaust manifold at the twin downpipe. You can see the two catalytic converters and extra O2 sensors there if you have CA emissions. The other way is to look at the sticker on the firewall in the engine bay directly in front of the driver's seat. It will tell you whether it complies with CA or EPA emissions. You could also roll under the side of the vehicle and look at the rear cat; if it has an O2 sensor mounted in it, it's EPA.

Once you know what version you have, then you can shop for exhaust parts. If you'll let us know what specific parts you're looking for and what brands you're considering, we may be able to help more.

Thanks for everything!! It turns out I have a cal system. Engine light is on but there is no lower cat before the muffler and no tail pipe after the muffler someone removed it. Hoping to install a new cat and tail pipe have codes cleared and hope for the best. Did not check yet what codes are there now. date made 10/99
Thanks again your info was a BIG help!!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by curvesman
It turns out I have a cal system. Engine light is on but there is no lower cat before the muffler and no tail pipe after the muffler someone removed it. Hoping to install a new cat and tail pipe have codes cleared and hope for the best. Did not check yet what codes are there now.
You do need to replace your cat and tailpipe. However, if you have the CA emissions, replacing the rear cat will not clear any codes. There is no oxygen sensor back there on a CA emissions truck. All the O2 sensors are up front around the front cats. The computer doesn't know whether that rear cat is there or not, and your CEL may not have anything to do with emissions.

Don't just throw parts at a check engine light and hope it goes away. You need to get the codes read so you know what's wrong. That's why we have OBDII, so you can read the codes and use them to troubleshoot.

Most local auto parts stores will read the codes for free. Just drop by, get the codes read, write them down and use them as a starting point to figure out what you need to do. Post them here if you need help.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

The best thing I ever bought was a $40 on sale at NAPA obdll scanner. I think if you're buying a cherokee u should go grab a cheap scan tool the same day. Figure that cost into the purchase of the cherokee. It will save some time and some head scratching for sure. I think it normally sells for $50 something and it will read codes, delete them and also shows status of emmissions control systems. I would love to get one that shows live data. Someday!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Waynerd
I would love to get one that shows live data. Someday!
If you have an Android phone, you can get a Bluetooth OBDII dongle from Amazon for under $25, then install Torque Pro on your phone for $6. It will scan and clear codes and provide live data on gauge pages that you can customize.

I actually run it full time in my Subaru. I had an old phone I wasn't using, so I set it up as a dedicated engine computer showing me data the car has that doesn't get fed to any gauges. I have it set up as a secondary gauge panel. It also has an emissions readiness page that will show you whether you're about to fail an emissions inspection, along with tracking functions you can set up to track location and speed, 0-60 times, etc. Since that $6 for Torque allows you to install it on ALL your Android devices, I have it on my phone also and carry another dongle in the Cherokee to be able to read codes out on the road.

If you're on iPhone, you have to use a wifi dongle and DashCommand. It's similar to Torque, but I don't know whether it's as cheap.