Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 or 2001

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2000 or 2001

Guys,

New to the forum, but hopefully after Thursday I will be a regular lurker! I have always loved the Cherokee and now I can finally get my hands on one. I am going back and forth between the 2000 and 2001 Cherokee Sport. By all accounts on price and miles they are very similar. If color and price were of no concern, what would be your recommendation? Thanks guys, appreciate the time and the help and any feedback you experts can provide!

the 2001 (95,410):
https://www.roadreadyusedcars.com/20...0/Details.aspx

the 2000 (109,569):
https://www.roadreadyusedcars.com/20...8/Details.aspx

https://www.roadreadyusedcars.com/20...8/Details.aspx
Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the CF. Matt!

What is your plan for the XJ both are about the same the 2000 should have the high pinion but depending on the build date could have the low. And the 01 will have the low pinion if you plan on lifting it then the high pinion would be the better front. could always swap that out cheap so no big deal but looking at the picture there is no air intake hose from the filter box to the throttle body that would raise some questions why and how long been off and the battery hold down just setting there. Also the check engine light on in the 01 what's it on for will they take care of it ? Both are listed with 3:07 gears I thought they should be 3:55 being automatics the 01 has cruise so that would be a plus for me looking at both without driving both and looking at them in person the 01 sounds like the better option but again I like black. Drive both and decide and let the real trip begin!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 PM

Ronnie!! Thank you man!!

I am definitely planning on lifting it and I am partial to Black as well. I will email the dealership. this is weird b/c i am in Maryland and heading to CT to buy the car so I want to make sure everything is in good condition before i go out there. I appreciate the feedback. For the low/high pinion, if i take it to a shop to get lifted this is something they could take of pretty easily I am assuming. right?

Thanks again Ronnie!

Matt
Old 01-26-2019, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

I have been trying real hard not to rain all over this but that is too much money. Please don't buy either one of those. On top of that I looked up the VIN. I am coming up with a 3.55 gear ratio for both. Which makes more sense to me. 3.07 in an automatic in '00 or '01. Hey maybe my lookup is telling me the wrong info. The '00 has an 8.25. '01 has a D35 with ABS. Personally I hate ABS but maybe it is important to you. But the D35 is a Factory LSD so....
They are not even upper end XJ's. Which IMO are more likely to command a higher price like these are going for. I understand that they are lower mileage but still.
I think you can do better. Hold out for a Federal Emissions '99 which would be a better choice IMO. And I own a '00 CA Emissions vehicle which is what both of these are. I love my Jeep. But I paid $1500 for her with 147K 5 years ago. And was a bit of a fixer upper but nothing crazy. Oh and I think I paid a little to much.

Last edited by Ralph77; 01-26-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:45 PM

Thanks Ralph! A lot of info to digest and I think i need to do my homework for sure. When it comes to the emissions how do i find that out?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MattBone
Thanks Ralph! A lot of info to digest and I think i need to do my homework for sure. When it comes to the emissions how do i find that out?
There should always be a white sticker on the firewall in the engine compartment on the drivers side. It will indicate if the vehicle is a CA Emissions or a Federal Emissions. When it comes to the '00 and '01 XJ you can tell by the pipe coming off the exhaust manifolds.
CA emissions has what is referred to as the front dual mini cat, first shot pipe on the right (also that pipe on the left is the rear cat), and a Federal Emissions one will just have a Y pipe. Second shot.

I don't mean to rain all over your parade. But '00's and '01's have certain issues. First and foremost is the 0331 head. Google it. Frankly I think this might be a little over played but regardless it is something to consider. I knew this going in when I bought mine. And it appears I don't have this problem. At least not yet. But then again I paid $1500 for mine. When misfire threads pop up seems to be more with '00 and '01 IMO. But this is something that most Jeeps might experience. Which is another problem that I have yet to experience in my '00. Unlike the 0331 head which is strictly a '00 and '01 thing. Then there is the heat soak issue. More an '00 and '01 thing IMO. I don't have these problems either. Yet.

CA Emissions in an '00 or '01 make things a little more complicated. Obviously that Y pipe would cost less then that dual mini cat. If they ever have to be replaced. A Federal Emissions '00 will only have 2 O2 sensors while a CA Emissions will have 4. I don't regret buying my '00 CA Emissions one bit. But I do most of my own work and I get my parts cheaper cause I work in an auto parts store so........

I think my real problem here is somebody paying $10K for a 20 year old Jeep. A pretty basic one at that. They look clean and the mileage is low but still. But find a cleaner '99, with a little luck and some patience could pick one up for $3K, with a 160K one her that has been somewhat maintained will still most likely run forever. On a '99 160K is just broken in. And you seem willing to travel. So....

I am not saying don't buy an '00 or '01. I am not saying don't buy a CA Emissions Jeep. I am saying please don't spend $10K on either one of those Jeeps. Now that being said. If I came across a rust free perfect interior '99 Limited. With lower mileage. With all the bells and whistles. I mean the Up Country suspension, tow package, heated seats, factory running boards, 8.25 LSD (no D35 and especially no ABS), etc. Everything working like it should then maybe.....

Here is another thing that might help. You seem to have no problem buying from a dealer. They like to list the VIN in ads. So use that to go here and get a build sheet for the Jeep.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Now I can't attest to how accurate this info is but it is something to get an idea about the Jeep.
And that is another thing I had a problem with concerning those listings. Because I ran the VIN I was coming up with different stats concerning the Jeep then what they listed.
3.07 gear ratio for starters. Now the 3.55 I got from the build sheet from that site could be wrong. But IMO more likely that they have a 3.55's as opposed to 3.07's. And if I am right then the used car lot has no idea what they are selling.
Get where I am going with this?

You will find the right Jeep at the right price. Just be patient

Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 AM
CF Veteran

You want to drive to CT so......

https://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/d/sh...802680405.html

Now I have no idea of the condition of this this. And it is a lower end one. But what I am seeing is a '99 with 177K for $2K

From the ad this seems reasonable to me. Now upon closer inspection.....
Also you figure that you will be sinking money into to this right off the bat. Oil change, tune up, etc. All the things that you should do to a new to you vehicle just to know that they have been done.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 AM
CF Veteran

You seem to have the money.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/c...805602799.html

Only thing that jumps out at me is those rims are not original to the Jeep. Pretty sure. Pretty sure they are Jeep rims though. Ones from the 1998 5.9 Grand Cherokee or the 60th Anniversary Edition of the '01 Cherokee Sport.

Bigger money in Southport, CT. They seem to think there stuff is worth more too. Thinking $6200 really means $5500. Maybe. As always start lower. You can always come up.

Last edited by Ralph77; 01-28-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:19 AM

Man, this is really great information Ralph. I can't thank you enough man! i appreciate the time and information. I think i am going to hold on going to CT for sure (they all think their stuff is worth more there lol) I will DM you if that's ok with any additional questions, you are officially my Cherokee Sherpa here!!

I am always weary of buying a car on CL, but it think for a vehicle like the Cherokee it might be my best bet to avoid getting gouged.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MattBone
Man, this is really great information Ralph. I can't thank you enough man! i appreciate the time and information. I think i am going to hold on going to CT for sure (they all think their stuff is worth more there lol) I will DM you if that's ok with any additional questions, you are officially my Cherokee Sherpa here!!

I am always weary of buying a car on CL, but it think for a vehicle like the Cherokee it might be my best bet to avoid getting gouged.
PM me anytime. What I wrote is all over the internet. Common knowledge for most XJ owners. I know a few things but there are so many knowledgeable people here. Know way more then me. And always happy to help.
One last thing about '00 and '01. Those are the years they got rid of the distributor and coil. Went to a coil bar. To frank I don't know if that is a good thing, a bad thing, or a doesn't matter thing. I am OK with it on mine.
As I said before. You will find the right Jeep for you. Just be patient and persistent. When you see what looks like something you might want you will need to act on it quickly though. As with anything good deals go quickly.