Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 jeep Cherokee questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 jeep Cherokee questions

After many years of regret after selling my 1991 Jeep Cherokee, I am finally back in the fold. I have purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee in amazing condition and only 31000 on it from 1 owner. I am looking to slowly improve upon this vehicle, with no plans of off roading in the near future. If this vehicle was in your hands, what would you do to it? What mods do you suggest to get the most out of this Cherokee? Thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

The very first thing I would do is install a headlight relay harness to brighten up the headlights, save the headlight switch and prevent the Jeep from catching fire. It's the best $21 you can spend. This one has been recommended by some heavy hitters here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807
Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Oneway light LED kits are awesome.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Agree with both posts above.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Agree with all the posts
Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 PM

I appreciate it guys. I have been looking for the right jeep to come along for a while. I have been plans for this jeep. Both interior and exterior. What about for the engine? Would a cold air intake be beneficial or is that more for "racing?" I think I will replace the center console with another seat. I am one seat shy of being able to load my whole family in the jeep. Either that or add an extra seat in the back.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most cold air kits are kinda snake oil and do nothing,On a f150 forum they dyno tested every cold air intake on the market for that truck,Only one gained any mpg and it was 1mpg.On power most of them gained none or even lose a few hp.And you can add a 3rd row seat https://littlepassengerseats.com/sho...90-2001-bench/
Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Lots of servicing! Followed by rust proofing if you live anywhere damp
Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by immanuelrx
Would a cold air intake be beneficial or is that more for "racing?"
If it takes air from under the hood, it's really a hot air intake and won't do you any more good than a drop-in filter would. The only way to get real cold air to the engine is either with a dorky snorkel or a cowl intake. The dorky snorkel has the disadvantage of looking stupid. The cowl intake has the disadvantage (or advantage, if you're like me) of transmitting intake noise into the cabin of the car. If you're carting the family around in yours, you may not want that extra noise.

Does a cowl intake improve performance? I dunno. I have mine primarily for the sound and to make room for a second battery later on where the airbox used to be.

Originally Posted by immanuelrx
I think I will replace the center console with another seat. I am one seat shy of being able to load my whole family in the jeep.
I have read rumors of MJ bench seats adapted to Cherokees, but I don't think I've ever actually seen one. If you add a seat up front, please take pictures and post a build thread so other people can see what you did.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by extrashaky
If it takes air from under the hood, it's really a hot air intake and won't do you any more good than a drop-in filter would. The only way to get real cold air to the engine is either with a dorky snorkel or a cowl intake. The dorky snorkel has the disadvantage of looking stupid. The cowl intake has the disadvantage (or advantage, if you're like me) of transmitting intake noise into the cabin of the car. If you're carting the family around in yours, you may not want that extra noise.

Does a cowl intake improve performance? I dunno. I have mine primarily for the sound and to make room for a second battery later on where the airbox used to be.
LOL, dorky snorkel. Ain't that the truth. I passed a pack of of XJs on the way home from work yesterday. They were turning southbound on the interstate. 2 out of the three had dorky snorkels (that's what I'm calling them from now on).

I love the sound of cowl induction. Thor Off Road just re-released their XJ model. I'm not a fan of having the filter in the cowl. I like the Spectre intake because the filter is inline.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:14 AM

Year: 1999

Definitely headlight relay. Change out all fluids, and baseline it by making sure that everything works. Also swap out O2 sensors.