Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'01 XJ 2x4 to 4x4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question '01 XJ 2x4 to 4x4 Swap

Hey Guys! I just bought a 2x4 Cherokee because It was completely rust free, strong motor, and was exceptionally cheap. Problem. Its 2WD! Now, I'm in a unique situation. I have all the parts! Have another '01 XJ that is 4WD. I would just fix that one, but there is just too much ROT!

So I was wondering, if I could just take out the Drive train on the 4x4 and put in right in for the 2x4? They are the SAME YEAR even the same trim! Would I need to buy anything extra? OR will it Bolt right in? How would i Get my lights to work?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can be its a huge job you gotta take out the trans the t case both axles and both driveshafts the t case shifter and its linkage and bezel and a lot more im for getting.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

I would probably recommend if you are doing all the the work switching axles and all, you should probably install any lift components while its all apart. The rear leaves are probably going to be worn out too so you could do it all at once.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah because the odds are if its got the factory springs on it they are shot and sagging by now.And while you got the trans out i would replace the rear main seal on the engine your already there also.And check the flexplate for cracks and loose bolts since all of that is common problems.