Tranny slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Tranny slip

OK just got out of work and driving home going around 50 I felt like the tranny slip ever so slightly. Then once I got into town where I hit some red lights I couldn't get the truck to come out of what seemed like 1st gear I was limping along at about 30 at 3000rpms. I didn't want to push it anymore than that. I was still miles from home. I wanted to see what would happen if I shut her off and put it in park but was scared it wouldn't move again. Got her home pulled in the driveway and put in park and idle was up and down and when it went down it would almost stall. Shut it off, turned it back on and went for a spin and I had my gears back and it was normal for a bit then I felt that slip again in 4th. Took it home and read about taking the slack out of the throttle cable. Did that and took it for a ride and it seemed ok but it idles a little high like 1100. Not sure if that fixed it. I'm gonna leave it home tomorrow and borrow a truck for work. I thought for sure the tranny was shot. Obviously I need to check the fluid to see what it looks like but it's late and there's a lot of snow out there but I'd like to hear from you guys if you ran into anything like this or any suggestions. Thanks in advance. 98 xj stockish has 2inch budget and normal tires on it. Daily driver never a woods jeep.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

May need a new tps.
Check that the fluid level is correct. The fluid should be pink.
Pull the tcu fuse out of the pdc and shift it manually and see what it does.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

If the fluid is not pink, see my sig.

That said, that simple cable adjustment has "fixed" many "hopeless" transmissions.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well it was the tps. So thanks a lot monacayankee for being right on the money. If I knew you I'd buy you a beer. I was so thrilled I didn't have to spend my Saturday throwing parts at it. I did take a look at the tranny fluid too, when it gets warm I'll need to change it.thanks again!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Engine: I6

Use dex/merc fluid from advance auto. Do NOT use atf4