01 inner shift boot solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 01 inner shift boot solution

Hello to all. I recently rebuilt my motor and replaced the clutch and in doing so managed to rip my 2001 Xj's inner shift boot. This is where my story begins...

Goal:
I wanted to replace the inner shift boot and after searching the old interweb realized they are not made anymore an there are not any good solutions to fix the problem.

Solution:
So I set out to find a reasonable solution that would fix the problem. It turns out that a 97-02 tj trans tunnel cover is exactly the same size and has the exact same sheet metal screw locations to attach it to the floor. The only difference is the inner shift boot size and location and the tab that you use to attach the console. So I found the trans tunnel plate on eBay and ordered
boot (Omix-ADA 18886.95) off of amazon.

Removal:
1) remove the center console and center section of the dash that covers the radio. This includes outer shift boot and shifter ****.
2) Remove Inner shift boot screws and push shift boot out of the way.
3) remove 4 screws holding shifter assembly to top of trans and remove entire shifter assembly with inner boot attached.
4) remove all screws holding trans tunnel plate to floor
5) remove lower dash brace just in front of trans tunnel cover (2 bolts in floor and 2 nuts on lower dash.)
6) remove 2 screws holding 4x4 shifter assembly to floor & trans tunnel plate.
7) remove trans tunnel plate.

Fix:
Here are the two plates side by side. (identical size/shape and sheet metal screws on outer edge)

To use the TJ plate I needed to transfer the Xj console attach tab to the Tj trans tunnel plate.

I drilled out the console attach tabs on both plates. First TJ plate, then Xj plate.

I then put the Xj plate on top of the Tj plate and transferred the holes from the removed Xj tab onto the Tj plate. This would give me the welding location for the Xj tab on the Tj Plate. I then tac welded the Xj tab in place. This method will get the tab close enough so slight bending adjustment can be done upon reinstallation. See new plate and boot installed in Xj.

You will notice that on the installed picture, only the lower shifter is seen. This is what it looks like when the upper and lower part of shifter have been separated. This must be done to accomplish installing the new boot. I have found that the pickle forks method posted here on the forums works great. To do this follow these steps:
1) take shifter assembly and turn upside down.
2) put lower portion of shifter in vice (if you look at it in vice the top of the shifter will be under the vice jaws.)
3) Now insert the pickle fork between the lower part of the vice jaws and the upper part of the shifter.
4) A few whacks with a hammer driving the pickle fork toward the shifter will release the top part from the bottom part. This is a pressed fit only. Common sense applies.

R-installation:
1) wiggle in the Tj trans tunnel plate and attached outer edge sheet metal screws to floor. (don't forget the 2 4x4 shifter plate screws)
2) Reinstall dash support bracket (2 floor bolts, 2 dash nuts)
3) install lower portion of shifter (4 hex screws)
4) Slide new lower shift boot over shifter and attach with 4 screws to TJ Trans tunnel plate
5) Reinstall centr portion of dash that covered stereo
6) reinstall console with floor air duct (adjust console shifter plate tab to accommodate console screw)
7) install upper shifter (just pound it on with a rubber mallet)
8) install outer shift boot
9) reinstall shifter ****.

Notes:
1) the shifter boot is up against the trans tower. If you wanted to shift the boot slightly to give clearance, one could just create new holes in the shifter plate to allow 1/2" toward the passengers side of the jeep.
2) If you don't weld, but can fabricate, A tab could be made instead of welding the original. You would have to use fairly stout steel, but riveting could be used to secure as original on the Tj plate.

I hope this method helps all those out there with late model Xj's that have no aftermarket solutions to the dreaded inner boot blues.

Chris
The following users liked this post:
OptionXIII (01-04-2024)