01 Cherokee Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre straight 6
Default 01 Cherokee Sport

Hi all, I am new to the Forum, but have been loving jeeps my whole life, first car I drove= 1990 Cherokee when I was 12, first car I owned=2001 Cherokee sport, the one that I still have now, My whole family and friends all run Jeeps, as they are great all around, especially in Upstate NY where we are, I am currently 19, working on a tight budget as most are, but I plan on putting about a 2 inch lift on, now I have read that everyone says you will want to go bigger so just skip the 2 inch, but I dont think I will, and I plan on keeping this as my daily driver, If i want to go bigger I will just pick up another one and use that for a toy, but im not sure what type of kit I want, so I figured I would poll you guys and girls and find out what you have to say, I recently put new shocks in it so I dont really wanna get another new set, but if its best then I will do it, otherwise just looking for a way to make her look better, always open to suggestions, I will get pics up later, just wanted to get a feel for whats best, thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

im running a buget lift from 4wd.com. it's thier brand comes with an add a leaf and coil spacer. got it when it was on sale and it works fine makes the ride a little stiffer but cherokee's ride like caddys anyway. it's a bad pic but it looks good
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Hey, im from upstate too (outside Albany), you? As for the lift if you dont plan on wheeling it then a 2inch Budget Boost on 30's is probably the way to go. From my experience most of the wheeling in NY is either super easy that a almost stock Jeep could do it or crazy hard requiring lockers and 33+, so what you want to build for is up to you.

Mine is 3" on 31's. I have the Rough Country 3" with the full leaf packs. Its a good price, I think about $600 but it's still great quality, it comes with everything though, new control arms and shocks and stuff. Everything performs well and I beat the crap out of it. If you plan on doing a spring lift and not a budget boost that's the best way to go. As for a spacer and shackle lift (Budget Boost), most of them are about the same and you can go wrong really.

Last edited by Iant333; 12-28-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Yea I only plan on having it to enjoy the Jeep, and mabye a little fun, but just getting started, loved it since the day I owned it, so a 2 is prob all im gonna go with, is there any dif between the add a leaf and the shackle( I think thats what its called) as far as ride hight and feel difference? Oh and im from a little further upstate, near Utica NY, and I agree, either its pretty simple wheelin or hard core, thanks for the thoughts and pics that helps, oh and CKYSODKorn, you paint those wheels yourself? how hard was it? and what wheels you running with your lift?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Upstatejeep
Yea I only plan on having it to enjoy the Jeep, and mabye a little fun, but just getting started, loved it since the day I owned it, so a 2 is prob all im gonna go with, is there any dif between the add a leaf and the shackle( I think thats what its called) as far as ride hight and feel difference? Oh and im from a little further upstate, near Utica NY, and I agree, either its pretty simple wheelin or hard core, thanks for the thoughts and pics that helps, oh and CKYSODKorn, you paint those wheels yourself? how hard was it? and what wheels you running with your lift?
yeah lol 3 dollor bottle of flat black versus 200 dollar rims that look similar. it was easy just shake up the paint and spray lol anything you get on the rotor will be taken off after a few stops. as for the drum im going to paint that anyway. some people go thru the trouble of takeing them off and doing it one by one, but all you need is painters tape( if you care about yor tires); for an add a leaf you have to take the whole pack out break it apart change all hardware (and trust me it can be a pain) and put the new leaf in. (witch if you don't paint the rest of the pack you can tell lol) makes the suspention a little stiffer. (witch i wanted anyway) then put it back in (now that is stuffer it can be a huuuge pain) shackle lift just gives you bigger shackles for the leafs. i don't like them beause you can see it more and im not sure about ride i've never done a shackle. i would imiagine you retain your factory feel to it. um im riding on just 30's going with 31's soon. reall soon beacuse the tread is almost gone hah

Last edited by ckysodkorn_xj; 12-28-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 AM

Haha yea that was what i figured, still looks great, I was thinking of doing something similar to mine, and i had seen that the shakle lift looked kinda sketchy, and made it so you can see the leaf springs hanging well below the frame, so I was probably just gonna go with the add a leaf, but wastn sure what or who I should go with.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i6

Originally Posted by Upstatejeep
whoot go up state, im 1:45 away from Rochester
Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to chat, not a build thread...