Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

XJ grille

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1995 4.0 HO straight 6
Default XJ grille

Hey guys, I was wondering what i can do to replace my stock grille, its all broken and crap, i want to be able to still give my radiator plenty of air, but any cool ideas to replace the grille? thanks lots!!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bigjohn4x4
Hey guys, I was wondering what i can do to replace my stock grille, its all broken and crap, i want to be able to still give my radiator plenty of air, but any cool ideas to replace the grille? thanks lots!!
i used a peice of aluminum diamond plate and drilled a bunch of holes in it , its super strong and i even mounted my fog lights to it, i never seen anyone do this before and it actually looks pretty cool, btw my license plate is only there for the time being untill i make a new bracket to mount it to my winch
Attached Images   

Last edited by DEVILSTOY; 12-10-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

ok heres one for ya... i did this on my xj and i'm a complete computer duh so i don't have pics yet i'm sorry..i can't even figure out my avatar......anyway my my old stock grill fell out from wheeling to much i made my self a grill grill. heres what i did...went out and found old bbq grills people were throwing out..i just took the part grill part were you put your food. sand blasted them in a parts cleaner thing, and then cut a couple of them up and tack welded 3 different pieces together. i painted it black and mounted it using tiny bolts in the factory grill mounting locations. (i think there is like 10 of them i only used a couple)...it turned out great and gets alot of laughs after people look at it for a second and say "oh i get it!, its a grill hahaha" it was definitely one of my favorite and cheapest mods.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96xj4x4
ok heres one for ya... i did this on my xj and i'm a complete computer duh so i don't have pics yet i'm sorry..i can't even figure out my avatar......anyway my my old stock grill fell out from wheeling to much i made my self a grill grill. heres what i did...went out and found old bbq grills people were throwing out..i just took the part grill part were you put your food. sand blasted them in a parts cleaner thing, and then cut a couple of them up and tack welded 3 different pieces together. i painted it black and mounted it using tiny bolts in the factory grill mounting locations. (i think there is like 10 of them i only used a couple)...it turned out great and gets alot of laughs after people look at it for a second and say "oh i get it!, its a grill hahaha" it was definitely one of my favorite and cheapest mods.
and when your out camping you could pop that out and cook some burgers haha or maybe if you hit a deer it would be cooked by the time you got home
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

lol thats what everybody says but i'm worried about the primer and paint i have on there lol. the thing actually fell of in the trail not to long ago i gotta figure out a better way to mount it up it was kinda heavy....looks like us south jersey guys really know grilles haha
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

heres a bit of a better pic
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

lol thats what everybody says but i'm worried about the primer and paint i have on there lol. the thing actually fell of in the trail not to long ago i gotta figure out a better way to mount it up it was kinda heavy....looks like us south jersey guys really know grilles haha
gotta love good ole south jersey hahaha i seen clips that are round and open up then fold back over to clamp around your grill with a tab that you can screw threw , im trying to remember what there actually used for i beleive its just for small gauge wire , it would work perfect for your situation
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

i know what your saying that would probably work...its such a sweet grill i really wanna get it back on there now that i see yours so i can at least take a cell phone pic and put it up on facebook haha. yours is sweet to btw nick thats a really good idea and its almost bulletproof
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

i know what your saying that would probably work...its such a sweet grill i really wanna get it back on there now that i see yours so i can at least take a cell phone pic and put it up on facebook haha. yours is sweet to btw nick thats a really good idea and its almost bulletproof
i used to use the fasteners im talking about in our body shop but im not sure where orderd them from , they came in handy for alot of stuff in a body shop , im trying to find them now
Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

something like this , the ones i used were more of a low profile design , http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...N%26start%3D21
Attached Images  

Last edited by DEVILSTOY; 12-10-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

oh dam that would work perfect...let me make sure i got this right, i would clip that onto my grill part and the bolt goes into the factory screw location holds it in place and tightens the clip down at the same time?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor

a little clip like this - the d ring. I got this at a local tack shop. i am pretty sure they came without the ring as well.

I went to the junk yard to replace mine. But i really like the diamond plate...
Attached Thumbnails XJ grille-clip.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

oh dam that would work perfect...let me make sure i got this right, i would clip that onto my grill part and the bolt goes into the factory screw location holds it in place and tightens the clip down at the same time?
yes sir ! you got it , just google screw clip wire , or something along those lines and see what else is out there
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by spikeypuck
a little clip like this - the d ring. I got this at a local tack shop. i am pretty sure they came without the ring as well.

I went to the junk yard to replace mine. But i really like the diamond plate...
sick dude, for helping me out i owe you pics of my grille back on there mounted the right way.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

sick dude, for helping me out i owe you pics of my grille back on there mounted the right way.
that c clip isnt a bad idea , but the metal may be too thick , the style i showed u it will actually tighten down on your grill and you tighten the screw

Quick Reply: XJ grille